Military??? Garden hose

I was at an auction and bought a 20 to 25 foot piece of garden hose last year, for a dollar. That's the best dollar I ever spent. That hose is a soft rubber type of material, and does not get stiff in cold weather, and resists kinking. (I say "RESISTS", because there is no such thing as a kink-free hose, even if advertisers say there is).

Anyhow, the hose is Army green in color, and it appears to be pretty old. Yet it's soft and has no cracks or defects, except one of the fittings was put on with a hose clamp, so I assume it was once longer. Since I have livestock, I fill water tanks all winter, and I learned that modern nylon reinforced plastic hoses are almost useless in the cold. They get so stiff they simply crack in half. I did buy several

50ft black rubber hoses that were rather pricey, but they have held up well for many years. However, they are stiffer than my Army green one, and get more stiff in cold weather. This Army green one is just as soft and flexible and easy to use in any temperature.

I'm wondering if this might actually be a military hose? Do they make them? I'm asking, because I'd really like to try to find some more of this type of hose. It's the best hose I've ever had. I only wish it was longer. No other hose I've looked at in the stores compares to it. Even the most costly all rubber ones are a lot stiffer, and I wont even consider using the reinforced plastic ones in cold weather anymore. They just dont hold up and get so stiff they are just too hard to use.

One other thing, those black rubber hoses that I bought, which have held up well, despite getting stiffer in cold weather, so have one drawback. Apparently the black in their rubber contains a lot of carbon. If I touch that hose against an electric fence, I'll get zapped, even at the other end, which is 50ft. away. No one has said why that happens. Even the manufacturer could not explain it. I just know to make sure it dont touch the electric fence. The Army green one does not conduct electricity, so that makes it a lot safer too.

Anyone have amy idea where the hose came from? Could it be military grade?

Reply to
generic

On 4/1/2013 10:37 AM, The Daring Dufas wrote: ...

Where are you located? I've decided will not be putting cattle back into feedlots again so have several Ritchie waterers that would make a deal on...heated/automagic waterers surely beat breaking ice and futzing w/ hoses...

Reply to
dpb

Perhaps it's a NASA hose? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That sounds a lot like what i have. Mine is a dull green, pretty much exactly the color like the Army uses on darn near everything, but maybe a bit faded. It's a very soft rubber (material), nice on the hands, flexible in all weather, and not excessively heavy. Best hose I've ever had. Per the foot, I'd say it's lighter (weight) than the black rubber hoses I have. Not by much, but it's kind of hard to tell when the others ones are twice as long or a little more than that.

Reply to
generic

That's quite similar. I figured it wasn't rubber because it's not particularly thick or heavy. It's even more resistant to kinking than the typical "won't kink" hoses I've bought.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yep, I only used the word "rubber" for lack of another word. It dont feel like plastic, but it is thin and light. And yea, is more resistant to kinking. It sounds like you have the same type of hose. Now if only we could determine where it originated. Whoever made it, probably made the best hose ever designed. Why is it not being sold today? I'd actually pay good money for it, knowing I'd not have to replace it. Most of the cheaper hoses sold today last 2 years or less. Those black rubber hoses I bought, cost much more, but have held up well for 6 or 7 years now, except that I did cause one of them to rupture, and had to put a repair coupler in it, but that was my fault.

Reply to
generic