OT - HELP !!! I'm falling and can't get up!!!!

From another list. ====================== Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:38 PM

We got hit pretty hard over night (Monday night) with freezing rain that turned to ice. I had an experience today that has me pondering on how better to be prepared in the future.

I was at home working around the house. I heard someone yelling my name over and over from out- side. It sounded like my neighbor and my first thought was "Oh God, he's fallen in my driveway" but when I opened the door he wasn't there but still calling my name, so I looked down to his house (2 houses over) and there he was lying on the ground by his truck, in a pair of shorts, tshirt and moccassins. He said "Call 911 I've broken my leg".

My stupid Verizon cell phone would not call out to 911 (I've had this problem before and they said they didn't know why, time definitely for new phones). Anyways, I called my friend across the street and had her call 911. I got on my boots and coat and tried to walk across my yard and could not move, it was solid thick sheet of ice so I could not get to him. He said "I'm so cold" my other friend had her teen girls run over with a blanket to cover him till the emergency squad came.

We had 300 emergency room visits today in our city from people falling and getting hurt on the ice.

Sorry long story but now my thoughts are:

The only alternative I can think of for me to have gotten to him without falling and breaking my leg, back, neck too was if I had those ski things, don't know what they are called but they are hand held sticks that skiers use to guide them in the snow. Would that work? And of course, our driveway and streets were even worse.

Ends up my neighbor didn't break his leg but broke his knee instead and will have surgery tommorow. ===================== You may have been able to get there by crawling. Of course, gloves and knee pads would help.

Your idea of ski poles may have worked. Another idea, is the one time I got my van stuck on ice, a salt truck spreading salt helped me to get enough traction to get off the ice. If you had enough rock salt or kitty litter, you might have been able to spread salt in front of yourself.

Remember the old clamp on roller skates? Mountain climbers have something called "crampons" which strap on like the old roller skates. But which have wicked sharp points to dig into ice.

Golf cleat shoes may have beeen useful. I'm less sure about the golf cleats.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In Canada where winter ice is frequent some shoe stores sell crampon kits to attach to shoes or boots. We keep one pair in the car glove box and another in the house, and need them a dozen times a year, e.g. walking 25 yards to the mailbox. Highways are heavily salted in icy weather (with consequent rust damage to vehicles.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson
?

I didn't go to the ER, but I did get a concussion yesterday. Slipped on ice under the snow and was on my back before I even realized I was falling, banged the back of my head on the ice. Scary for a few seconds because at first, I could not move at all. I'll have some effects for a few days, at least. I'm not going out at al today.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:iibmau$su4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Thick woolen sock over the shoes should give traction, but the skipoles are also helpful, or bellyflopping if you like that (see the videos of pinguins moving over ice/snow).

Reply to
Han

Scattering some sand or kitty litter over the ice would help.

Or maybe take some ice skating lessons so you learn how to balance better while slipping around.

Learn how to fall properly so you don't hurt yourself too bad.

-C-

Reply to
Country

Sorry to hear that and hope you are okay. I'm 67 and have gotten really, really cautious on ice and snow; indoors, too, with nightlights, etc. Have been out shoveling some of our driveway today, taking time out. Grandsons will finish. I figure if it doesn't kill me, it is good exercise, carefully and in moderation. This snow is crusty on top and very heavy. Still some discussion, I think, of the possibility of some freezing rain for our area of N. Indiana (not lake)...don't want the whole mess frozen in place.

Reply to
norminn

My fall happened 2 days ago and I sprained my wrist. Wife tried to get me to go to the doctor but I've nursed it myself and its getting better. I walk daily for exercise and knew path was icy but did it anyway. Now I'm sticking to walking indoors or using exercise bike. I also fell using snow thrower, heard wife yell to be careful when I got up and found her videotaping me. Someone said I could become a utube sensation but I'll be damned if I'll upload it.

I always carry cell phone when out in the elements. My dad, when in his 80's fell in the snow his parking lot and though unhurt could not get up and it was 15 minutes before someone found him.

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote in news:iic4r6$mno$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Make them wear an alert thingy. It works!

Reply to
Han

Storman Morman asked:

"Crampons" that are rubber based and pull on over shoes are sold by L.L.Bean for about $20. I never go out without them in the winter. Another type that has coiled springs for gripping (YakTraks) are ok on packed snow but don't grip well on ice.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I think the alert thingy only works in the house where the receiver is and besides a Tracfone is much cheaper -

Reply to
Frank

My wife fell in the driveway and had quite a wait. Now, she it not allowed to even go to the mailbox without a cellphone. She's had a couple of issues to warrant that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It was suppose to be an effect of global warming that icing instances will start occurring much more often. When its bad, you loose your power, you run out of food, and can't go anywhere, and can't get gas, or anything.

greg

Reply to
zek

I've fallen too many times, I suppose I take stupid risks and I have to learn to take it easy. Got a concussion once that made me loose my sense of taste and smell the next day, then it came back slowly in a couple days. Scary! Nowadays they don't tell you to stay awake anymore like they used to. Mostly get lots of rest and no sudden moves.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Frank wrote in news:iice0e$skr$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The alert thingy hangs around your neck, so it is always with you. A cell phone may be in your pocket, or may be on the litchen counter or the nightstand when you fall next to the dining room table and break your hip. Happened to Dad, and the alert thingy got the neighbor there in a flash.

Reply to
Han

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:Ka-dnQqD96DGXdTQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'd still have her wear an alert thingy. When you're off to the grocery store she might fall inside the house. As I said, happened to Dad (after Mom had passed away).

Reply to
Han

Don't fool around with a head injury my friend, if you get dizzy or feel any lasting ill effects, please get checked out. You could at least give your doctor a call and let him/her know what happened to you and ask for their advice. I hope you're OK.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Even a cellphone that's not registered or signed up for any service, can still dial and call 911. Heck, I've seen prepaid cellphones for sale at less than $10.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Darn that Global Warming,...er, Cooling,...er, Change,...er, Hope and Change,...er, I'll blame somebody or something. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:JIGdneiviYYch9fQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Blood pressure OK? While the concussion can have caused that, low blood pressure can also.

As far as "Happened so fast I don't know" is concerned, I know about that. One moment I was walking along an edge ~ 1.5 foot over a playground area, the next I was flat on my back in the playsand, and my foot was on an impossible angle to my leg. It's been almost 7 months since they put a couple of plates and umpteen screws into my leg bones, and I'm basically back to normal, but slower and with more aches. THis snow isn't helping.

Reply to
Han

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:iidroi$lm$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Point is that a phone on the kitchen counter is no help. How are you nailingit to the person in potential need of it? A clickable button on a string around the neck is easier.

Reply to
Han