OT enlarging photo

Email or take it to the local copy shop. Around here, it's less than $1 for 8.5x11 on good paper. $3-5 for 11x17. Well worth the cost to me.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

You are correct I believe. You can make a photo larger, but you cannot make a bad photo any good. I often prefer to work, initially with Raw images.

Reply to
SeaNymph

As far as making a bad photo good, it's just a matter of showing it to the right person. I've seen some horrible junk that other people loved...so who knows?

I only used RAW for a short period of time...I'm mostly into B&W and that was just not necessary.

Reply to
philo

I love black and white. To me, it forces a bit of creativity, since there's no color to distract the eye. When I lived in Bermuda I learned how to develop my own film. I would love to do that again.

Reply to
SeaNymph

I love B&W but after a while darkroom work, to me just became tedious.

I first started with digital in 2000 and by 2005 fully made the transition. Since my darkroom had not been used once in ten years I gave everything away last year.

Now that I have a fine arts dealer representing me, I've learned that his clients will be wanting silver-gelatin prints.

Since I was not particularly good in the darkroom anyway I do not regret getting rid of my stuff. I now have sent some stuff off to two different labs and I'll see which one does the best job

Reply to
philo

I learned B&W darkroom developing and printing back in the mid to late '80's. When digital came along I found my niche and love to manipulate images, or otherwise edit them. Composites are my ultimate favorite.

Reply to
Muggles

Even though I'm a computer geek who spends a lot of time building and repairing computers I am not terribly Photoshop proficient.

I shoot everything in color but a huge portion of it I convert to B&W and do little more than adjust the brightness and contrast. I do a lot of low light shooting and many of my digital images have the look of Tri-X.

That said I do some color as well and always have my wife do the final editing as she has essentially perfect color vision.

We took a color-vision test and her acuity was deemed exceptional while mine was just average. I think in general women are better with colors then men.

My wardrobe consists mainly of black t-shirts.

Reply to
philo

I do enjoy working with B&W but with a twist by editing for selective color. That's kind of fun.

Reply to
Muggles

I'm not sure what you mean by RAW, but if I do any image manipulation, th first thing I do is save it in a no-loss format. JPG is lossy, so save it as a BMP. (PCX also works). Do ALL your editing and keep saving as BMP or PCX. When you are done, print from the BMP or PCX. But if you want a screen image like for a website, then convert it back to JPG. Otherwise you have a very large file.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Paint Shop Pro is not bad either. The early versions from around 1995 were free. I still use that old version because it's easy to use, but I also have a newer (paid) version installed. Both will coexist on the same computer. That older free one is still around on the web. Try oldversion.com or something like that.

Reply to
Paintedcow

hubops

| I'm not sure what you mean by RAW,

RAW is the best way to take photos. For posting to Facebook, a JPG taken with a phone is fine, but for people who are serious about cameras, a camera that offers RAW format is the sensible option. RAW is actually not just one format. It depends on the camera. But in general it's a format that contains a lot of the exposure data. It's the data from the camera's sensor. There are also editors specifically for RAW editing. Once the image has been worked on it can then be reduced to a 24-bit bitmap for digital processing or printing. But a bitmap is a reduction.

Example: When I was first trying out RAW options I took a photo of a cyclamen in a dimly lit room. The image was so dark it was mostly gray tones. As a RAW image I was able to brighten it to bring out the pink flowers, like turning on lights in the photo. If that image had been saved as JPG then brightening would have only lightened the gray pixels, because a JPG is just a compressed bitmap. There's no extra data to get out of it. The image points are already set as 24-bit-color-value pixels, so there just isn't any pink/red in that dark photo.

Storing it as BMP (or TIF, which is usually just a compressed BMP) is good once optimizing has been done in RAW, but if you don't start with RAW it's like starting with no camera settings options.

Reply to
Mayayana

Well said, thanks. While I use RAW, and like it, I'm not sure I could've explained it that well.

Reply to
SeaNymph

Thanks for the link to irfanview Philo. I'm using it and like it very much. :D

Reply to
Eagle

| Well said, thanks. While I use RAW, and like it, I'm not sure I | could've explained it that well. |

Thanks. It's intriguing technology to me. My ladyfriend is an experienced photographer who used to develop and print her own B/W. Now she's transitioning to digital. I'm not as handy with a camera, but I have experience on the software end and have an eye for graphics and color. So we work together, to some extent. It's been interesting for me to see the power and options provided by RAW.

Reply to
Mayayana

You are welcome...it's freeware so good that I sent Irfan a contribution

also as far as freeware goes I am sure just about everyone knows about VLC for videos. I had a corrupted AVI the other day and after trying all kinds of software to fix it...it was pointed out to me how VLC can be used to repair a video by allowing it to re-index, then convert and save. I decided to give them a contribution too.

Reply to
philo

I'm no professional, I just enjoy photography. I printed my own B&W when I lived in Bermuda and I really enjoyed that.

For me, the thing to do is show every day things in a different way. I don't alter the photos, but I do employ some creative cropping. I think people like the photos or don't, because sometimes you can't really tell what you're looking at. I've sold a few, but mostly its a hobby for me. Luckily, I have a lot of interesting equipment to make it even more interesting.

Reply to
SeaNymph

Some programs you can set printed image any size. You can also do an image pixel count increase. You can also modify increased pixel image by sharping and other effects. Been awhile since I did anything. Most of m stuff worked with Micrographix, ACDsee, Photoshop.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Some programs you can set printed image any size. You can also do an image pixel count increase. You can also modify increased pixel image by sharping and other effects. Been awhile since I did anything. Most of m stuff worked with Micrographix, ACDsee, Photoshop.

Greg

You can also use Microsoft Publisher, I prefer to use ACDsee.

Reply to
Tony944

You appear to be posting from a Windows host. Have you tried *printing* the photo and selecting a "Full Page Print" in the Photo Printing Wizard?

You can also do this by tweeking some of the printer settings once you have started that process.

Finally, MS has a PowerToy that is very handy for resizing photos. It adds a "Resize Pictures" entry to the context menu for all photos (right click on a photo, select "Resize Pictures") that lets you shrink and enlarge photos to various predefined sizes.

Reply to
Don Y