photo bucket

I would like to use this, but when I try to become a member, it asks me for a user name and a password. Is the user name the same name that I post here with? Or is it something I can dream up?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

Anything that you can "dream up" - but make sure that you can remember them!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Many thanks for that. I'll use my spam trap ID then.

I have a project that I proposed nearly 2 years ago about a way to grind twist drills and I want to present my method with photos that show how it can be done. Unfortunately, ill health prevented me from moving on with this project over the last, quite a few months.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

When you get onto page 2 of the sign up, they ask for your name, post code and e-mail address - just make up what you want, and if you have one, give a Hotmail e-mail address as it appears that you need a working e-mail addy.

I've just successfully done this by the way as a test.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

This sounds like something that would be ideal for our wiki...

Just create yourself an account here:

can upload pictures here:

you can create an article simply by searching for the name you want to use. If its not already taken, then there will be an option to click to create it.

Creating articles is easy enough, you can get some examples of how here:

(click the "edit" tab to see what the article source looks like)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, John. That is where it is destined to be. A long bout of ill health has prevented me from posting.

What I propose to do is post it via this news group to find out what the feelings are about using the side of a grind stone wheel.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Its also an easy place to post images...

I hope you are recovering!

Must admit to doing it myself when I want a wide flat grind surface...

Reply to
John Rumm

40 years ago, at school, there was a poster up in the metalwork room about grinding wheels. It said "the side could be used occasionally" That's one wheel between 150 lads (Girls didn't count, they did Cookery). So I wondered how often was occasionally.
Reply to
Graham.

The usual rule applies, surely? Keep trying until item breaks, then back off a little :-)

Reply to
Jules

Why not use a cup wheel as found on industrial drill sharpeners?

Ideally you need adjustment to recover any reference each time the wheel is dressed.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

While you are at it provide an article for the wiki on removing bits of grinding wheel from various body parts.

Reply to
Mike

The answer is simple. Unless the wheel is a dish type wheel designed for use that way one should only use the peripheral surface. If you need a flat surface off hand grinding wheel there are plenty of designs available.

Reply to
Alang

When I worked on the tools in the aerospace industry, I used the same side, of the same wheel for twenty years. The side pressure is so low as to be non existent.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

After 21 years of using the same wheel, the biggest problem was folk using it to gring aluminium after we went home.

For those not aware of using the side of a grindstone wheel, the danger comes from the side forces that could fracture the wheel and cause it to burst. My method of grinding only involves a light (very) touch to the wheel. You are in more danger of the wheel if it is mounted with a wobble in its rotation.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That gring should have been grind. Sorry.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike saying something like:

Have you ever actually seen a grinding wheel burst because of side use? I haven't - and I've been around them for years, on and off. Lightly kissing the side isn't going to do any harm to it all, it's the tossers who treat the side like the edge that are the danger.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Many thanks for that post, it will go into my finished article along with some other 'negative' posts.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes. Didn't actually see it happen but I had to clear up the mess after someone on night shift buggered it up.

I worked as a grinder for about 5 years sharpening rock drills core samplers and machine tool cutters. Still got the scars on my hands

True but attention has to be paid to dressing the peripheral to keep the wheel meaty and in balance

Indeed but far better to use the correct tool for the job in the first place.

And I'm someone who has used a mounted tip in a drill clamped in a vice to sharpen a twist drill :)

Reply to
Alang