(OT) Do ALL Universal Remotes use the same code?

Do ALL Universal Remotes use the same code for the same device? For example, if I want to control a Pannasonic TV model PS-104 (not a real model number), does the brand of the Universal Remote matter, or are all codes the same for the same TV, VCR, DVD, etc?

Somehow we have managed to lose the remote for our almost new Blue Ray/DVD player (LG brand) and we have torn the whole house apart looking for it. I refuse to look anymore. I'm sure it will eventually turn up, but for now, I have a generic Universal Remote on hand, and want to program it for this machine. I cant seem to find the codes for this particular remote, but I can get them for other Univ. Remotes such as an RCA brand.

(Maybe this cheap "dollar store" Univ. remote wont even work on this machine, but it's worth a try).

It's too bad that remotes dont have a built in beeper, so anyone could use another generic remote to find them. (Of course, we'd probably all lose the generic "remote finder" remotes :)

What annoys me is that many devices can not be used with buttons on the device itself, and MUST have the remote to work it....... That's poor design!

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Don't know if that's true, but if you want , try Code 20741 That's the code for an LG DVD player in the listings for my Comcast "Universal" remote.

Good Luck.........

Reply to
Retired

Hi, Most remote can learn new code if not already learned. User manual tells how to make it learn new code for new device. Some you can macro program so one button will do more than one task, like turn on TV, turn on AV receiver, change mode to DVD playing, etc. If you want to simplify remote control every thing with just one remote, there are quite a few choices with Logitech Harmony line remotes. I use Harmony one and it does every thing with one touch. Watch TV, Play Blue ray disc, Connect network, etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think the ones I bought at the dollar store worked. Is it too late to go buy another, with instructions.

I'm sure I had a couple univ. remotes with spare buttons that could learn the buttons on the oem remote, but I can't find them. You'd have to teach them before losing the oem.

You can get new and used oem's for some things on ebay, etc.

Reply to
micky

Short answer is no. As a general rule, any question that includes the word "ALL" will have an answer that includes the word "no".

A question that includes the exact model number of the device and the exact model number of the universal remote will have some chance of a useful answer.

The website for the universal remote should list the compatible devices. Start at the top of the list for the device vendor and try codes until something works. Do a google search for the player and click images. Scan thru the images to see if you find a similar looking device from a different vendor. There are relatively few manufacturers and the devices get rebranded. Try the codes for the other vendors.

If you can't find a website for the remote, you can use the same picture search to try alternate brands.

You might get lucky, but you're likely to have more success checking again behind the TV or in the sofa cushions.

My experience with the dollar store is that you get what you get and it's worth some fraction of what you paid for it. If you need more documentation than what's on the package, you're outaluck.

Google keyfinder. I had some that respond to a "clap". If you lose your "clap", the remote might be the least of your worries.

And it's part of the reason that devices can be made so cheap. You use the same remote and the same codes and add features in software to the setup screen.

Reply to
mike
[snip]

A good design would cost a few cents more.

My DVR has only ONE button on the unit itself. That button is marked "power", and like (nearly?) all modern equipment, doesn't do what it says.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Unless you have an older device, it's likely to be faster to start at the BOTTOM and work up.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd