OT Daily small aspirin?

A lot of old timers here - maybe interested in this.

The [ast few days have had news reports that daily aspirin doesn't help unless you have a history of heart problems; in fact, may cause health problems.

On the other hand a quick Google invariably says that stopping these aspirins, once started, can be quite dangerous.

Looks like if you started them, you have to continue them no matter what the reports about them say.

Comments?

Reply to
KenK

Over 10 years since I needed cardiac stents and have been taking the small aspirin and previously used blood thinner for clots 20 years ago. There are something like 7 factors that control clotting. Aspirin like Plavix just works on platelet coagulation.

Before I had clots, I was taking a daily regular aspirin. Did not do any good.

I follow my doctors' recommendations. Someone said his doctor complained about "Dr Google".

Reply to
Frank

I just bought another bottle of 500 so I'm going to continue.

As an aside, i bought them at BJ and got their private label brand, 500 for $3.49. They were next to the Bayer, selling 400 for $12.49.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been taking a daily 325 asa coated timed release for over 30 years now. ... since a DVT problem at 29 years old. Possible Factor V Leiden genetic condition.

Regular asa meant for more rapid pain relief will disolve in your stomach and if taken continuously will usually cause stomach problems. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Mine was a pulmonary embolism and hematologist could never figure out what caused it.

I figure like plumbing, you get deposits in your pipes. This not only means cardiac plumbing but plumbing in the brain. Blood thinners help but there are potential bleeding problems.

Reply to
Frank

KenK posted for all of us...

Talk to your doctor. The articles I have read stated circumstances applied. Only you and your sawbones will know.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Your last sentence is hard to believe. You can usually taper off drugs you don't need.

I asked my internist (and cardiologist, though I don't have heart problems) about this a couple years ago when I was 69, if I should take them, and he said no.

This doesn't count, because it was so long ago, but when I first had an osteoid osteoma, that would wake me up in the morning, I kept a glass of water and a bottle of baby aspirin on the floor next to my bed. I jad decided to take one as soon as I woke up for the first time, but I kept knocking over the water. After three years I made an appointment to have the the osteoma cut out. The doctor was going away in a week for two weeks, and I was scheduled for the Tuesday after the monday he got back. The pain stopped the day I made the appointment, but I didnt' think anything of it, like a sore tooth stops hurting. Long story short, I went in to see him the Monday he was back and he convinced me to go through with it, so I checked into the hospital (the night before). Called him again the next morning but he was in surgery Decided to leave. Nurse said, You're not the first. Met the doctor coming out of the elevator as I was going into it. He didn't send a bill but I paid the hospital bill myself, for fear if I had insurance pay it, when I eventually had the whole surgery, much more expensive, they woudn't pay antying.

I still have a bump on my arm and it's hurt about 6 times in the laast

40 years, but not at all in the last 20.
Reply to
micky

So how do YOU avoid stomach problems.

Reply to
micky

Did they test you for Factor V Leiden ? That's how we first discovered it - my older brother was admitted for a PE. and tested positive. It's often described as " rare " but I think perhaps it's not-so-rare in us Prussian folk .. Also - the genetic test might cost you out-of-pocket - a few hundred bucks - that's why I haven't had mine yet. The simple blood-timing tests are not always effective for this. It's a fairly minor risk for healthy males - but can be a significant risk factor for women - pregnant or on-the-pill .. you might wish to advise your daughters if you or a relative test positive. Quiz your doctor on this - he might have overlooked the possibility due to the older medical literature .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hubby had his osteoid osteoma lanced three months ago and there's hardly any scarring at all:

Lauren

This was 20 years ago. I saw the hematologist several times and was tested for everything. I think they knew of the Factor V Leiden then.

It took open heart surgery to cut open the pulmonary artery to remove the embolism. They also later put in a clot filter which I probably don't need. I had no further clotting problems but was warned by the pulmonologist to never stop taking blood thinner.

Reply to
Frank

On Mon 17 Sep 2018 11:07:51a, KenK told us...

David and I both have arterial stents. According to our cardiologist hes recommendation to take themk, as they help to prevent stents from clogging.

We were both already taking the low-dose aspirin before we had stends, as it was ecommended for our ages, although we had never any cardiac issues.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I was taking them but then the doctor told me to discontinue them before a minor operation. I never went back, particularly when the reports questioning their effectiveness came out.

My biggest complaint was they worked too well. I'm not accident prone but I do lead and active life with nicks and scrapes being part of it. I got tired of my skin leaking.

Reply to
rbowman

When it comes to health matters, you cant trust anyone's advice. Everyone wants your money mnd will lie to get into your wallet. Even the doctors get paid off by the drug compamnies to prescribe certain drugs.

Reply to
Bud

I was taking both coumadin and aspirin when more active and got my share of cuts and scrapes but they did not put me out of action.

After cardiac stents I was put on Plavix too and if you looked at me I'd bleed. I dropped a computer on my leg and also cut a finger when it fell. You would not believe the size of the bruise and I needed stitches for the cut. Now off Plavix but taking aspirin and Xarelto I bruise every now and then but no big problem.

I'm reminded of some off road competitive cyclist that had a serious accident requiring a new heart valve. Young guy, it must have been a mechanical valve where he had to take coumadin for life. He had them replace the valve, probably with a pig's, so he would not need coumadin and could continue the sport. Now that's nuts. Pig valves only last maybe 10 years. Sometimes you are forced to play the hand life deals you.

Reply to
Frank

On Tue 18 Sep 2018 03:17:34p, told us...

I'm on Medicare with an AARP United Health Care Supplemental health care plan. My prescription drug plan is through Silverscript which is local to Arizona..

After having a stroke last February I now have to taken Eliquis in addition to my other medications. The copay was ~$86 for a 90 day supply of Eliquis. With my last refill I fell into the infamous gap. My last copay was $440. Since I can't be without that drug, I will have to get a 30 day supply before the end of the year and that will still be expensive. Who knows what 2019 will bring with an updated formulary.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

That happened to me with Xarelto last year and I had a similar copay. I was ticked as it happened in the last few days of the year and when I realized that I had approved their sending it, I could not rescind it until the new year. Would not have happened if I remained on coumadin but worth the cost of having to go in and have blood tested as often as twice a month.

At our age, it is the doctor merry go round.

Reply to
Frank

Just for giggles, read this book.

The Kindle version is $9.99

Reply to
John Smith

On Tue 18 Sep 2018 05:13:00p, John Smith told us...

Thanks, I'll give it a look!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Years ago they seem to prefer one full tab every 3 days, said it worked better. I think reduction of colon cancer was a benefit too.

Greg

Reply to
gregz