OT Crappy banking part 2

I've used the same bank for years without problems. Went through 3 name changes, now it's Chase. Not recommending it except the online stuff works well. I use Quicken to interface for most bill paying and there's no charge. Suits me because they have a nearby branch and cash machines. Also use their rewards CC. Both are available logging into one account. You can change online payee address easily. You should ask around about what works locally. No reason not to change banks except the hassle of changing direct deposits and any automatic withdrawals. Keep the old account open a while until all is final.. I went through that ISP change hassle until I created a free Yahoo mail account. If you save all records to your PC you can do all business from there. Need to keep backups, and you can still keep paper if you want.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I am changing ISPs so I have to change my email address. The first email address I changed was my bank. Well today I got another email from my bank to the old email address that will expire in about 4 days.

My bank was originally South Trust and they went to Wells Fargo. My credit card was also South Trust. The email I got was from Wells Fargo credit card rewards. So I called the bank and asked why the email was still coming to the old address. The guy said...that was a separate account. I could either log on to that web site or talk to someone else in another department. I asked to do it over the phone, and told him that setting up another username/password is very inconvenient. He asked if I wanted the other number for my records. I politely told him.............no.

I was transferred to the other department for a new recording. I then had to go back to my records (in another room from my computer) to provide them with my account number again. I was put on hold for a min or two and then.....I am sorry we can't complete this transaction.........click.

-- O'Neil to General Hammond: For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Yes, Chase has a pretty good online interaction.

Still, after 23 years of free corporate checking, they are now charging $15/month.

Then, too, recently I walked up to the teller and asked for two rolls of quarters while placing a $20 bill in the slot. She wanted my debit card - "to make sure I was a bank customer" she said. I found out the real reason two days ago.

The bank charged me fifty cents to change a twenty into quarters!

Since the feds recently ruled that banks cannot charge unconscionable fees for credit cards, overdrafts, etc., from the slugs of society, the bank has to make up the lost revenue by sticking it to the righteous.

Reply to
HeyBub

What is your account number? I'll straighten it out.

Reply to
K. Lance

That's why I didn't recommend them except for the online part. They got me for a 15 buck charge when my checking went below a min balance. I didn't read something they sent me that changed the rules. So I happened to be in there getting something notarized and asked about that charge. What happened was explained, and the gal said she could change that min balance back to the zero it was, and she did that on the spot. I asked about getting the 15 buck charge reversed and she basically said "Don't even think about it." Couple weeks ago we cashed in a small IRA CD we had there for about 10 years. Took the pre-59 1/2 penalty hit so barely broke even. Main reason we did that is they had worked it down from the original

5% APR to .10% APR. Screw them. I can be a prick too. They start screwing me I'll take my money elsewhere for a dime better deal. I'll stop just short of cutting off my nose.

For now they get to use the average balance I keep in my no interest checking account to pay bills using their system for free. At today's interest rates it's a good enough trade.

Laws don't work well with crooks. Surprised the teller was dishonest about charging for the quarters. What's with the "slot" at a bank? Rough neighborhood?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

The only reasons we still deal with a bank is that we moved money there when we moved to town and bought our house. It was easier, for the down payment, to move money within the bank than from out of state. We kept the accounts when my wife started working at the bank. They too have changed the rules but so far it doesn't affect us. The minute it does we'll pull the money out and put it somewhere the money is valued.

For individuals, credit unions are almost always the way to go. We still do most of our "banking" with a CU we haven't set foot in for almost 20 years. We wouldn't have a local bank if my wife weren't working at the bank here. We didn't when we lived in VT.

That's your fault. You should have rolled it over into another IRA. Obama thanks you, though.

Do it. CUs are almost always a better deal.

Reply to
krw

Look around for a credit union you may qualify to join. I've banked with a credit union for over 30 years and have had absolutely consistently excellent customer service. They pay better interest on all interest bearing accounts, require lower limits for free checking, have lower interest rates for loans. I can do all my banking on line and can cite my credit union checking account to enable free "autopay" options from utilites, newspapers, etc. And, all ATM fees from non-affiliated ATMS are waived.

Reply to
Peter