OT Computers: China and gmail MX domains

Hi All,

Please suffer an off topic question. I ask here as yo guys are pretty impressive and YOU KNOW ALL AND SEE ALL!!!!

I have a customer who uses the eMail that comes from his web hosting service. His eMail service is really bad, which is not unexpected from a web hosting service as they really don't want to host eMail but do it because their customers expect it.

So I recommend he host his eMail at gMail (MX). And, just found out that China blocks gMail. His mail recipients are mostly in China. Oh well ...

Does any one know if China is only blocking @gmail.com accounts that are blocked or does China also block domains that have their eMail hosted (MX) on gMail?

Many thanks,

-T

Mail servers in the PRC operate on the perimeter of the great firewall. This means approved Chinese mail servers can exchange email with any other mail servers outside of the PRC.

In other words, a gmail account user in the USA can easily exchange emails with a PRC resident using a PRC approved email provider.

The twist which is confusing you is, Google / Gmail servers are not accessible from behind the great firewall, so someone with a gmail account cannot access that account from within the PRC.

People and businesses were circumventing this restriction inside of the PRC by using a VPN, but, as of 11 January 2018, the PRC is clamping down on the use of VPNs which cross the perimeter of the great firewall.

Test it yourself, use a gmail account to send an email to a contact in China, they will not only receive it but they will be able to reply.

Reply to
Dove Tail

The switch has not been made to gMail MX host yet, so I will just recommend that the customer use zoho.com instead.

Zoho has a hosting facility inside China, which may be what this is about after all. China does look after its own.

Just a idiom, the "PRC" in these parts means the "Peoples Republic of California". Chuckle.

We get a lot of their refugees here in Nevada.

Thank you for your help on the great wall problem.

Actually, no, the abbreviation PRC stands for the People's Republic of China.

The great state of California is a bastion of democracy, one which will most likely lead the USA out of the national nightmare known as Trump.

You are welcome for the assistance.

Reply to
Dove Tail

Correcting myself, PRC is an acronym for the People's Republic of China, not an idiom or an abbreviation. Obviously, "T" is contagious. :-)

Reply to
Dove Tail

Thank you!

That would be explain all the refugees. :'(

You do realize the PRC (Peoples Republic of California) is essentially a one party state with all its media and public education controlled by that same party?

"bastion of democracy" ???? More like a "bastion of Gleichschaltung (conformity)". There is very, very little free and open exchange of idea and information. You conform or else. Hell, the CEO of Mozilla was forced out because he did not support gay marriage. Google fires anyone who is not a leftist. The PRC is in a long battle with the Catholic Church about forcing them to fund abortions. The PRC is disgusting.

But, you know, a lot of the PRC's refugees come bearing money and start business in Nevada which is a boom for us. On the other hand, they also try to re-establish their "utopia" here and start to make us as bad as what the ran from.

Yawn, Trump style demagoguery and hatred.

I hade no idea there was an area in Russia named Nevada.

Reply to
Dove Tail

Name caller.

Name caller

I can live with being a "name caller" simply because the terms and names I apply to you and Trump are 100% accurate. Feel free to call me a name caller, I will wear it proudly.

You are a Russian troll, take some pride in what you are and admit it.

Your heritage is Russian, your mannerisms are Russian, your politics are Russian. You consider the USA to be your enemy and you will do everything possible to destroy this country.

The only other explanation for your behavior is that you are a traitor.

Either way, you are going to fail and rest assured, pay-back will be costly.

Reply to
Dove Tail

Name caller: Russian troll, traitor, consider the USA your enemy

You smear and lie about folks wether it is me or Trump or anyone else. You come across as a total jerk, not someone to have an interesting conversation with.

Do you ever think for yourself or do you only conform?

I have asked you repeatedly what you were but you refuse to answer. You "sound" a lot like a typical condescending Brit, but who knows as you won't say. Maybe you just picked your jerk-ness from one of them.

By the way, I am a decorated American veteran. Have you ever served your country -- whatever than may be -- or do you just let others do it for you?

ROFL. That's another good one coming from the sycophant that worships at th e alter of Trump, that makes one excuse, one life after another to try to e xcuse Trump.

And now in a post complaining about name calling, here you are lumping all Britts together as condescending. For the record, you're talking about Bo d, who isn't condescending, he just sees the same Trump shit show that most Americans see.

, but who knows

So now only vets have the right to speak out? Has your messiah Trump ever s erved? No, he used student deferment and then an alleged bone spur to avoid the draft. The rich kid bugged out, while the poor went and died. He comp ared his chasing women to service in Vietnam. Yet he shoots his mouth off about anything and everything. He even has the incredible gall and insensi tivity to say that McCain is no war hero. Yet you say all that is swell. You trumpets never cease to amaze.

Reply to
trader_4

I am not trying to have an interesting conversation with you. You are a Russian troll and you should not be normalized or be allowed to pretend you are something other than you are.

I don't really care what you have asked me. Feel free to call me any names you wish, none of your words will distract from your Russian troll actions.

Anyone can claim to be anything on Usenet, I don't believe a word you write as everything you write is in furtherance of the goals of Vladimir Putin and your Russian troll masters.

You are an enemy of the USA.

Reply to
Dove Tail

Dude, you are hopeless.