OT: Computer memory low

You're right. That's why people want immigration of poor people and even some illegal immigration, to have a supply of poor people ready to do poor people's work. (I'm not saying they want so many illegal immigrants that they enter construction and trades etc. in large numbers, but they don't want to be where they were a few decades ago when there were not so many migrant workers and they still had no machine to pick tomatoes with. They rushed to finish the tomato picking machine that was in the works, and they also bred tomatoes that were harder to bruise (and not as good aiui.))

Probably not to the same extent, but the same thing is true of Mexicans and other Latinos who came decades ago. But once their children speak English without an accent, that their names are Sanchez or Gonzalez is just ignored, truely not even noticed. (unless maybe all one his is a printed resume or webpage). That's why Linda Chavez and lots of others aren't seen as Mexican.

Wikipedia, which I looked at today after CJ's post, makes him sound better off than I had realized. Not just a lawyer but a promintent one. That doesn't always include more money, but often it does. And his mother served on the Board of a bank chain and the United Way. There are ways other than income to have community status, but the vast majority of people on boards are making a lot of money. I don't know if she had been working at all, but her father was a banker. Again, not all bankers do great, and Bill Gates went to a prep school which had bought a computer teletype and some computer time. I was out of college by this time so I don't know what my richest** public school in Indiana had at this time.

**Which is not saying that much. I presume we were the richest, (since we had nobody or almost nobody on welfare, and the only alternative schools were Catholic schools and one small private boys school and one small private girls school) and we had a new building with a well equipped gym, a big auditorium, air conditioning, chem labs with bunsen burners and glassware, and textbooks for eveyrone, but really, as long as everyone at another school has a text book to use, I don't know if the extra stuff puts us ahead of any other school in terms of expected results.

(I've read the famous alumni from my high school and there is one astronaut and a bunch of sports "stars" I've never heard of since I moved out of state. That's all.)

We used to live in a town of 50,000, and the high school teacher or principal or guidance couselor told my mother and brother that he couldn't get a good education there, because they were so small and had no extras. But he made all A's in college except B's in science and graduated medical school anyhow. Partly because he read a lot. It's the person more than the school.

Often wealthy parents can get their kids good first jobs, or they don't even have to try, that his parents are known is enough, but that wasn't true for GAtes, was it? (OTOH Gates treated a lot of competitors very badly, ws probably ruthless, and claimed to be giving the details of the OS to people like Netscape, but held things back so Netscape crashed when the MS program didn't. That's one reason I don't use MS products except for the OS.)

Absolutley.

Reply to
mm

=3D=3D With Windows XP I have noticed a strange lag after using the latest version of Firefox. Before the next program loads it seems like the system has to regain some memory area that was previously allocated to FF. Maybe its my imagination but I never noticed this before the new FF came out. Has anyone else noticed this? =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Hmm, Played with page file size? Ever heard of page file or page file thrashing or virtual memory? Only start the application you need when computer is booted. Don't load any thing you don't need. Also make sure your cpu has good size L1 and L2 chache memory.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I can't swear it is related to FF, but my machine seems to go away for

20-30 seconds at a time, hard drive light burning brightly, a lot more often since the upgrade to the current version. Or maybe it just doesn't play nice with the upgraded PCTools anti-everything package.
Reply to
aemeijers

It not like you can change the size of your cache Tony?! You have what you have, and that's it.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Then you liked a wrong machine. I assemble all Desktops when I need new one. Laptops are all Thinkpads. House is wireless networked on dual band and even Skype wireless phone is on it, wireless AIO printer is shared. Our browser is Seamonkey. All boxes are on Vista Ultimate except mine which is triple boot, guess what I am booting.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The reason given meoriginally NOT to use IE was that it "leaked" more than others. Is that true? Any test data on that -- not anecdotal? Any data on that?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I've heard the new fire-fox is "fat" like Google Chrome. I still put up with IE

Reply to
clare

So you reboot every couple of days - - - - -

Reply to
clare

I'm still here. Organizing the requested info about my system and will post tomorrow. Frightening lower r.h. flame events still occurring.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

IE has a long history of memory leaks on certain javascript DOM calls. That may, or may not be an issue depending on what is on the web page you are viewing. Mostly this is mitigated by both MS and the people who write problematic code, but not entirely.

It does use substantially less memory than FF, that is probably because it is more tightly integrated in.

I'm a web programmer/developer. I do not like IE, none of us do (buggy and incomplete implementation of web standards). But on a minimal system, IE will work where FF will have problems.

With all that said, it really is Norton causing the trouble, not FF.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Over a billion computers (conservative estimate) use Internet Explorer. Further, it is integrated into the operating system and cannot be totally removed.

Here's a simplified rendition of how an NT system (XP etc) works.

  • An application begins loading into RAM
  • If it needs more RAM than is currently free, the OS rolls out part of memory to disk.
  • If more memory is needed, the OS rolls out MORE currently-active memory to disk.
  • The application now begins execution. If, during execution, the application needs the services of ANOTHER application (such as the routine to process a single keystroke), the OS may need to roll out to disk part (or all) of the application making the request. Once that sub-application finishes, the OS has to reload the application that caused the roll-out in the first place.
  • Repeat, lather, rinse.

The above scenario can cause an enormous amount of disk-thrash.

The fix is:

  • Get more RAM
  • Clean your system of those services that insist they remain resident and cannot be rolled-out.
  • Get rid of the application that demands huge amounts of RAM (Firefox?)
Reply to
HeyBub

Hey!!! A kindred spirit??? Norton USED to be the best you could get. Norton Utilities was the best disk editor, back when Peter Norton WAS Norton.The early Norton AntiVirus was precedent setting. But today there are so many products that are SO MUCH better than Norton's offering - particularly in how little they interfere with the real business of "computing" Norton products today just get in the way of everything, consuming resources in prodigious ammounts.

Reply to
clare

Hi, That is what you are saying. If you are an expert on low language(machine code) You can do anything you want. Norton stuff is nothing but memory hogger. It also snoops on your system.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As usual, Tony, I have no idea if you are agreeing with me or dissagreeing.

Reply to
clare

Hi, I am just throwing something so you can further think. Stuff like Norton will slow down the system and even cause a problem. Best thing to do with a home PC is just protect it from Virus attack, block all the garbage coming in and load it with just what you need(applications). Never upgrade anything if things are doing fine. If you want to upgrade wait until it is proven well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Well, I'll agree to a point, Tony - but if you are connected to the internet running a Windows system, it is VERY good policy to install Microsoft's security updates (to "plug" the holes in the system) as they are made available. To protect it from a virus attack requires some sort of anti-virus. Norton is almost a virus itself. There are simple virus protection programs out there that DO work and do not assume, like Norton does, that you are an absolute idiot and will take no responsibility for your actions on the net or elsewhere.

They are, however, totally useless if you do not install the signature updates in a very timely manner. If you don't, you are susceptible to first day type attacks.(may as well not have antivirus if it is not up to date)

I work with this stuff on a daily basis.

Reply to
clare

It's more than that: Norton is the barnacle of the software world!

After "Uninstalling" you have to download Symantec's Sooper-Sekret removal tool to chip out the stuff the uninstall routine didn't get. Then you have to manually scan the registry to snip out anything involving "Norton" or "Symantec."

You're pretty clean at that point and can install the free Microsoft Security Essentials or the anti-virus of your choice.

Still, there are those who go to all the trouble to purge their system of Norton, then install McAffee (because it was free from their ISP).

Reply to
HeyBub

Works for me!

My IT buddy hates Norton and it sure didn't used to be that way. As far as anti virus, he says NOD32. Myself, I run a firewall and that is it.

Agreed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

OMG!!

Is it good? I'm suspicious of anything free, or indeed anything from Microsoft.

Ewwww....I had always been told that Norton was a hog, so when my renewal date comes up pretty soon, does the NG advise me to not renew? And instead install WHAT??!! (Not McAfee -- I had trouble with them long ago).

Will I get 3,000 different recommendations, or is there concensus on one or two outstanding programs that do as good a job while eating fewer electrons? KISS.

As another poster on this thread hath vouchsafed:

There are simple virus protection programs out there that DO work and do not assume, like Norton does, that you are an absolute idiot and will take no responsibility for your actions on the net or elsewhere.

Well...."absolute" maybe not, but....

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson