OT: Cloud storage providers

I had not checked it when I signed up and mistakenly believed they would save any user files like my email. Fortunately any important stuff had been put in my docs files.

My isp, Comcast, offers something like 10mB free storage as I believe do my two websites.

The thing that annoyed me most about Carbonite was its intrusiveness and the time it took.

Reply to
Frank

NOBODY does.

Reply to
clare

President Young's executive order #3. All Americans will hereby by decree backup computer files as often as necessary. Send copy to NSA for free backup.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I set up a daily scheduled task that does an xcopy from our home office pc to an older xp in our detached garage. Xcopy has an argument that does a d ate compare so it only updates the files that got changed or are new. Sinc e it's a copy anything we accidentally delete gets left on the backup drive . This is also made easier because we do not store any personal files on o ur C drive, we use a second large drive. That makes upgrading computers a lot easier too, just pop out the drive and add it to the new computer.

Reply to
jamesgang

xxcopy works a lot better. At my brother's shop, we hdcloned the drive, then on a daily basis xxcopied the changed files to the drive. He had a twin to the office computer at home, which he used for his home system but was also "sitting in the wings" as a backup for the office - just pop in the cloned drive, and you are up and running.

Reply to
clare

It seems a copy goes to NSA and who knows who else while you're uploading it!

Fresh personal data, get it while it's hot!

Reply to
Robert Green

Ed, that's what I would LOVE to do! Put my effing data on disc. Cheap, safe, portable. Forget the effing cloud!

But something went wrong with my F drive. I can READ DVDs on it, but I can't RECORD! It says "F drive is not accessible. Incorrect Function" Whatthehell!!!

I actually hired someone to come in and figure out why, but they blew a lot of my time and money trying to contact Philips and getting transferred all over creation, result zip.

This can't be rocket science! I'll have to find someone to fix it. ****Maybe somebody here has a glimmer?**** Running XP on a Dell PC. Have also posted on the Microsoft Windows NG.

Right! My nephew went through last year and photographed everything, inside cabinets, all detail. I keep disc at the bank.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It isn't rocket science. Can you use a screwdriver? Then you can replace the drive. Long run it is probably cheaper than having a clueless tech taking a lot of time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Then, of course, for ritzier setups than my modest rig, there's the Data Vault (Popular Science Dec 2013)

A mere $599.00...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

, safe, portable. Forget the effing cloud!

can't RECORD! It says "F drive is not accessible. Incorrect Function" Whatthehell!!!

lot of my time and money trying to contact Philips and getting transferred all over creation, result zip.

**Maybe somebody here has a glimmer?**** Running XP on a Dell PC. Have als o posted on the Microsoft Windows NG.

Yes, I can use a screwdriver, but I would also like to know whatthehell I a m doing with it! Are you suggesting opening the Ext HD and -- doing what? It works when READING discs, but just won't accept RECORDING them. Doesn' t that sound like software? This is the blind leading the (maybe) sighted, but do I have a point?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Sounds like a DVD/CD drive??? The bjurn laser and the read laser are two separate parts - so it can be a hardware issue - but what software are you using?? If you are using the windows included burn software, it does NOT handle DVD burning (using windows explorer). Youneed something like Nero - and even then, the older versions only handled burning CD ROM, not DVD. Reading DVD is supported by windows directly.

IF it is hardware, you can replace the drive in the external housing with a new drive with only a screwdriver and a half decent set of eyes.

Reply to
clare

for less than what you paid the tech to come out, you could have just bought another drive and installed it

ChairMan

eap, safe, portable. Forget the effing cloud!

t I can't RECORD! It says "F drive is not accessible. Incorrect Function " Whatthehell!!!

w a lot of my time and money trying to contact Philips and getting transfer red all over creation, result zip.

****Maybe somebody here has a glimmer?**** Running XP on a Dell PC. Have also posted on the Microsoft Windows NG.

I am doing with it! Are you suggesting opening the Ext HD and -- doing wha t? It works when READING discs, but just won't accept RECORDING them. Doe sn't that sound like software? This is the blind leading the (maybe) sight ed, but do I have a point?

You need something like nero to burn video dvd's but windows will burn a da ta dvd all by it's self.

Reply to
jamesgang