OT Cell phone icons

I have a new Tracfone and am curious about the four icons at the top of the main screen. There is what looks like a telephone pole with some vertical marks next to it (signal strength), a circle with a cross inside (911 ready), a 'battery" (battery indicator). The fourth is a small square with a 1x inside it. This is identified as IS-2000 in the phone's glossary. I have called the manufacturer (LG Electronics) and Tracfone and they have been unable to tell me what IS-2000 means. The instruction book is no help either. Do any of you have any idea what IS-2000 means?

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

New Hampshire

its a certification of compatabilty with CDMA phone technology, that trac phone uses.

different providers of cell phones use different systems.

in europe they are all the same, and with a different slide in card every phone runs on every system

Reply to
hallerb

It means that it is capable of and connected to a network that is using that particular version of CDMA. If it is a digital only phone the only other symbol that could be displayed there would be a "D" indicating the phone was connected to a system using an older version of CDMA.

Reply to
George

My Tracfone uses GSM, and has such a card. The card is hidden under the battery (you'd have to take the battery out to see it) and very small.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd