OT: cashing in coins

"Decent bank"? How does that work?

Reply to
George

The problem is, the machine may reject a few coins and screw up your perfect count.

Reply to
gfretwell

I saw a program about companies that cleaned enormous amounts of coins. Fountains, grottos, wishing wells, etc. It was mentioned that this company, the one you see in lobbies of grocery stores, etc, (the owner, that is) has the largest coin collection in the world. There are automatic scanners that will kick out any foreign or old or unusual coin, and can be programmed to recognize any coin to be pulled out of the stream.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I just throw them in a basket, and when I get about ten pounds, I take them to the Longhorn Saloon in Las Vegas, and change them in. Most I ever changed in at one time was $700. Handy at Christmas, or when I want a treat of a bottle of Glennfiddich single malt.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare.

Steve B

Then they will be right there in the coin return.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Great idea! Long ago I did think of a penny machine that sorted the mostly copper ones from the newer ones, but the machine was probably made before the new pennies even came out.

In most older 25 cent coin acceptors/rejectors there is a magnet to catch canadian coins. What most don't know is that it also has another more important purpose. A coin with a lot of copper in it will not stick to the magnet, but it will slow it down as it rolls past! Slugs made of pot metal or other stuff not copper will roll faster past the magnet, and if properly adjusted, it will reject them.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Tony, I used to do that too for 7 years. Know what you mean. Never seen a counting machine be inaccurate. If they were broke they just didnt work at all. The bank finally got where they would accept bagged coins, that made life a little easier for me.. I dont know how they verified the count. I think they weighed them.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Canadian quarters and dimes 1965 and older are mostly silver, and will be accepted by such a contraption.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

Now TD Canada Trust, which was formed by the merger od Toronto Dominion Bank and Canada Trust - the latter which resulted from the merger of Waterloo Trust and Huron and Erie Trust(or Canada Trust, Huron and Erie) of Waterloo Ontario and London Ontario, respectively.

Reply to
clare

de quoted text -

Our US banks go thru the same idiocy of successors. Our biggest bank in Naperville, IL, has had at least 4 different names in the past 30 years, we still call it by the original name from 45 years ago when we want to let an old-timer know something as it is a local landmark on the corner of the biggest downtown intersection.

Reply to
hrhofmann

First Pennsylvania Bank was taken over by Corestates bank, which was taken over by First Union Bank, which was taken over by Wachovia, which was taken over by Wells Fargo. This amounts to 5 different names in the past 25 years, maybe within a 20 year period.

Reply to
Don Klipstein

It's a service for customers. They don't make money selling coin to non-customers. Many banks charge even their customers for coin.

Reply to
krw

If you have problems with your bank, find another. I'm sure there is one around that wants your business (assuming you're not a dead beat).

Reply to
krw

Well yes! Who would turn down silver!? Now wait, actually it would reject an all silver quarter if properly adjusted. I don't know how much copper it takes to work.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Just wanted to know if anyone in the US knows what the "TD" in TD Ameritrade stands for.

Canadians are disqualified from answering.

-------------------

I'm a TD customer in Canada and I'll vouch about them being a good customer service oriented bank. Their chequing fees are higher than most BUT their investing services, tax planning, credit departments are helpful and friendly. They have the friendliest tellers who actually work to answer questions and try to find the best appointment times for their experts. They manage some of the lowest cost market etf funds in Canada. I do all my retirement and taxable investing thru them now. Great websites to purchase and sell equities and funds. prompt tax receipts in the mail. Prompt confirmations of transactions from investments.

I also have my house and life insurance with them. Reasonable rates, especially for house insurance.

I really hope they give great service in the US as I get here. They really want to grow along the east coast. They merged their Waterhouse division into Ameritrade. Hope it works well for them.

Reply to
The Henchman

.suddenlink.net:

I'd suggest saving them for a couple of years to see if inflation kicks up as much as some people expect. They'll be even more valuable then.

Reply to
Pavel314

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ilbro4$bac$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Oh, how perfectly awful! Where's the empathy? the inclusiveness? Do you not embrace these values?

Character matters. Courage is doing the right thing even when nobody's looking. Don't wait for your ship to come in, row out to meet it. It's better to help somebody up than to put them down... You know the drill.

I have something much more schoolteacher-friendly than your link:

Tegger

Those are Canadians singing that song, they must be from Calgary or Alberta. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I went to the supermarket last month and they had raised the rate to almost 10 percent, but they also gave 100% if you took a coupon for one of 8 stores, including lowes and amazon. Since I was abotu to buy something via amazon, it worked out fine, got 100%

I spend my quarters, even if I have to spend a couple minute stacking them a dollar at a tiem for the cashier, so I only have nickles dimes and pennies, including those pennies I tried to clean. The machine might confiscate those so I'm spending them. I've spent 10 of the 103 so far!!

P&M

Reply to
mm

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ilep3d$38q$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org: