OT. Dollar Coins (newest version)

I got a couple dollar coins from the local Burger King yesterday. The cashier apologized for not having paper dollars. It has been years since I've seen them or the old half dollar coins. I had to hold a quarter over one to see the size difference. The dollars are a bit bigger.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Ah yes. And the reason you yet again post off-topic crap in a home repair newsgroup is...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

My wife has a few old silver dollars worth maybe $35 and I note that even some of the newer dollar coins may sell for more than face value.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Interesting. In my own life, I've finally stopped using cash much, because of the germs on the paper**, and because drive-thru's don't want cash, and I thought this was true of 10's of millions of people and the wear and tear on paper money would have gone down. So the printing presses could easily keep up with the demand for paper money. And they wouldn't have to release more coins.

Were your coins new?

**There can be germs on the credit card when it's returned to you too, and that the cashier is wearing rubber gloves protects the cashier's hands but doens't protect you unless he changes gloves for each customer. However touching things doesn't seem like a very common way to transmit Corona or anything these days. It's done via aerosol, unless you're a deer.
Reply to
micky

Sometimes with coinage - especially pre-1964 coins - it's a tossup between collector and silver weight value . FWIW , all pre-'64 US dimes , quarters , halves and dollars are 92% silver by weight ... currently spot price is $21.92 per troy ounce . Gotta call my supplier , I said I'd buy more when it got below $22 .

Reply to
Snag

Scott Lurndal

I bought a bag of silver dimes at ~$6 in the 90s. I probably still would have been better off in an index fund but silver is still silver, no matter what happens to paper.

When we were in Santa Cruz "Suzies" (dollar coins) were everywhere because that was all a parking meter would take. It was the only place I have seen then used much at all.

Micky, they have no problem at the drive thrus here taking cash. OTOH nobody has touched a credit card of mine in years. The hold out the little terminal and you do a swipe, chip read or tap without ever letting go of your card.

Reply to
gfretwell

They were pretty shiny as if they hadn't circulated much. I left them on a table at the local restaurant. The waitress got a surprise if she paid attention.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I was a teller in NYC in 1979/80 when silver was skyrocketing. We had an elderly gentleman that used to come into the branch a couple of times a week and swap rolls of 50¢ coins for paper money. Quite often, there were a few 90% silver coins in the mix.

I would use my own paper money to buy the 90% coins from the other tellers at face value. I was sure that the silver run-up was going to pass, so I'd take the coins down to a stamp dealer around the corner from the branch and sell him the coins for anywhere from $2 - $4 depending on the condition. I'd bring him $2 on my lunch break and then go spend $10-$15 at one of the local pubs.

By March 1980 the party was basically over. I avoided the stamp dealer on Silver Thursday. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Up here in Canada no more pennies, we still have the "nickle" and the "dime" and the "quarter" but also the "looney" and the "tooney". No one or 2 dollar bills any more - and with the polymer bills some forms of "money laundering" are not illegal!!!

The bills clean up real nice in a tub of warm water and dish detergent.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's nice.

I'd heard of the looney but not the tooney!

Reply to
micky