Thermostat

I need a new thermostat. I see that there are a zillion out there. I

*think* all I need is separate AC/heat(gas) temp settings and perhaps some kind of late night setback. And, reliable, so I can lock it down and forget about it. It's going in the rental.

Does just about every digital fit those needs, or are there models to either avoid or seek?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

What do you mean by "Lock it down?" I have two different brands and they both have been reliable. I think since they are electronic today rather than mechanical, that makes them more reliable.

Reply to
Ken

Good question.

Reply to
trader4

I have two different brands and they

I haven't dealt with one for a while, but I remember it being problematic. If the power goes down does it have to be reset? Technology improves.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Hi, Most of them runs on battery or battery back up. A set of battery lasts more than a year. Stick with name brand like Honeywell, you'll do just fine. I use Honeywell wireless programmable one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As Tony said, they either run on batteries that last several years or offer power via the thermostat wires with battery as backup. Powering via the thermostat wires requires that you have a "common" wire at the thermostat, ie a return current wire.

The lockbox you linked should fit just about any thermostat available the only issue would be some huge one not fitting....

But.... I'd reconsider the locking. I'd find any rental that didn't allow me to control the temp unacceptable..... Not only in regard to temp, but how do you know when they want it setback at night or not? Suppose someone is sick and wants it warmer one night? Or there schedule changes..... Lock it and I see a LOT of trouble coming, like you going over frequently to adjust it for them.

An intermediate solution might be a thermostat like the Honeywell VisionPro. They aren't cheap, but you can get some good deals on Eay. I just got a used one that is a multi-stage for $45. Would not be my choice for a rental unit, but.... they have an "installer menu" that takes a special key sequence to enter. In that menu, you can set limits on the max heat settting allowed and the min cooling temp allowed.

Reply to
trader4

My understanding is that Honeywell is licensing out their name, with no direct connection to design or manufacturing. At least my Honeywell space heater is that way. That makes me suspicious, as the heater is a bit of a dog.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Hi, That is lesser problem because whoever took the license has to maintain quality standard. Otherwise they lose the licensing deal. Lot of us look down on Chinese products but they just produce per specs. They can make things as good as any. It is all matter of product specs. I retired from Honeywell(from different division). When I switched to wireless, stat. I sold my used Vision Pro 8000 to a guy and later he phone me asking if I can sell more. He said he liked it very much. Advantage of wireless is I can move it around the house if I want to. Vision Pro has several models which will fit any situation.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That would work, min and max temps. I want to avoid them running the temps out and opening windows to adjust. What kind of language do I look for so I can find a simple thermostat that allows me to lock in max heat /min AC. I have no familiarity with anything recent and it looks like a zoo. Looking...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

The contractor put a White-Rogers 1F85-277 in our home when we built it but it is probably overkill for you because it is set up to run two- stage air and heat systems. It sells for around $70 on Amazon We had a similar, but similar unit in the last house that was about 1/2 that price and provides all of the basic setback and thermostat setting tolerances. If you don't have two-stage you should be able to get a pretty basic programmable for $20-30.

And if you program it for setback during the night, or day (if you are gone) it WILL save you money.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

O\

Oops - should be similar but simpler......

Reply to
RonB

I think to get to that level of detail you have to look at the installation and/or user manuals for each particular thermostat.

Reply to
trader4

I have to move my temp levers twice a year. The tenants would like it better if they didn't have to set it more than once, and if Jeff is paying for the heat or cooling, he'd like it better too

I bought one 22 years ago that is semi-electronic. A digital clock keeps track of the time, but there is a mechanical slide switches for the two temps (one degree increments) and another nech. slide switch for the one or two setback start and stop times each day (15 minute increments), and dip switches for M-Su to choose which days get one setback period and which get two. Working fine for 22 years**.

The one thing it doesn't have is separate policies for summer and winter. In the winter the daytime temp should be about 68, or in my case 67. In the summer, 72 is apparently cool enough.

**I kept the original thermostat, which goes back in place before I show the house, if I decide to take this one with me whan I move.
Reply to
mm