OT: car wiper blades

I know this is more of a car question but decided to ask here anyway. Just wondering when you clean your wiper blades, do they get absolutely clean or do they still give off black powder or stain on your paper towel or sponge? Is there a favorite cleaning solvent to do this job?

Reply to
Doug

Desert.... wow. And I thought it was hot in Houston. Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

Most times I just use a paper towel with water and yes, there is a black residue.

I've been using Bosch blades for a few years now. A few bucks more than others, but they seem to wipe better and last longer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I recently had some Bosch blades that starting chattering. I went back to the auto parts store where I bought them and said to the guy "My Bosch blades are chattering. I honestly don't remember when I bought them, but I'm pretty sure it's been less than a year. Do you think they're just worn out?"

We went outside, he listened to them chatter, grabbed me a new pair and installed them for me. No receipt, no paperwork, nothing.

When I offered to tip him he said "Don't worry about it. You were honest and you were a nice guy with no bitching like we get from a lot of people. Have a nice day."

They'll be getting my business in the future.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Which store?

I've had good results with Anco blades.

.

I recently had some Bosch blades that starting chattering. I went back to the auto parts store where I bought them and said to the guy "My Bosch blades are chattering. I honestly don't remember when I bought them, but I'm pretty sure it's been less than a year. Do you think they're just worn out?"

We went outside, he listened to them chatter, grabbed me a new pair and installed them for me. No receipt, no paperwork, nothing.

When I offered to tip him he said "Don't worry about it. You were honest and you were a nice guy with no bitching like we get from a lot of people. Have a nice day."

They'll be getting my business in the future.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well almost . Where I am, usually we have 95 to 98F but sometimes 102F. But we have some humidity with that. I can tolerate up to 95 but 95 and up, it burns my skin.

Reply to
Doug

Same brand on several cars of mine. Not sure if they last longer, maybe??? They seem to work good except for when the window or wiper needs some cleaning. Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

That's impressive... very nice.

Reply to
Doug

The store with all the batteries, oil and other car related stuff.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have cleaned blades. I don't see where it helps. It does matter on blade type. Wish I could remember all the ones I've used.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

While on the subject of windshields, I use either Prestone yellow or RainX pink for fluid. It is far superior to the cheap blue stuff. It will help get light frost off the windshield and it does not freeze like the blue once the alcohol flashes off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used to just give them a swipe with a rag soaked in laquer thinners

- softened them up - took off the oxidized surface, and made them work for another couple of months. I use silicone rubber blades now and they do not harden nearly as fast.

Reply to
clare

Do you think this is better than a mix of water with vinegar? I've been using these 2 for some time now. I don't have to worry about freezing temps 99% of the time.

Reply to
Doug

If there is black powder coming off, they are about shot. New blades wont do that. Replace them now, or wait another couple months when they disintegrate and must be replaced.

Reply to
homeowner

May not be any better for cleaning, but it is much better if you live in a cold climate.

Add a couple of drops of dish detergent to your mix to take advantage of the surfactants.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it is from the blade, yes. Much of the black gunk is just accumulated pollen and dust sticking to them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

or, Jet-Dri

Reply to
Robert Macy

Very interesting idea that I never thought of. Just wonder if the window is slightly dirty if that's still okay otherwise sounds good ?

Reply to
Doug

The only cleaning I've ever seen help is when there is a leaf or bug stuck to a blade. Seems like after a year or so they just lay over and don't work very good anymore.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Agreed. However I usually just clean them with whatever I'm using to clean the windshield, either ammonia water or a premade window cleaner. Usually the first wipe does result in a lot of black coming off.

Now what I was going to say which is somewhat unrelated to the OP's question but may be helpful, is that I've had excellent luck with the newfangled silicone wiper blades. I've tried both PIAA and Silblade and both seem to be very good and last at least 3-4x as long as any other blade that I've tried. I replaced one pair of PIAAs because the wiping edge actually wore out (after several years of daily use) and wasn't sharp anymore (so they became slightly streaky) but the blades were still nice and soft and flipped over properly and never chattered.

I prefer PIAA over Silblade because the Silblades that I tried on my Jeep (because they were cheaper than I could find PIAAs at the time that I ordered them) are painted a glossy metallic black which when hit by the sun at just the right angle can be as blinding as the old school polished stainless blades.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel