OT -- car door locks need lubrication

It makes pretty good dry cleaning fluid too, to remove grease stains from clothes. Be careful on synthetics.

Reply to
clare

CRC's closest replacement seems to be Power Lube. Their best penetrating oil seems to be Freeze Off. It cools the material to help it wick the solvent. Amazon reviewers say it works when nothing else will. One reviewer wasn't satisfied. He still had to get a breaker bar and a pipe to remove overtorqued lug nuts. :)

Reply to
J Burns

Propane is good stuff. Mapp, when the tank gets cold, it doesn't flow gas properly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Radiator antifreeze works great for preventing things like locks and snow thrower chute cables from freezing. Just put some antifreeze in a syringe and shoot up.

Reply to
_ G0D _

Howzabout you morons buying a can of graphite suspended in a solvent. Napa auto stores carries 'em. Douche yer locks with the graphite/solvent, then wait for the solvent to evaporate. No more frozen locks. And yes, it gets cold, here. I've seen my locks work fine at 30 deg F below zero. That's 50 deg F below freezing.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Used to do that with some throttle cables back in the "early yeaes" of cable operated automotive throttles.

Reply to
clare

That's exactly what "lock ease" is.

Reply to
clare

NOW you tell me!

Reply to
Pico Rico

Sorry, when the lock mechanism fills with water and it freezes, the lock doesn't work. It's raining now and will freeze tonight. I bet when I go out to the shed in a few minutes and pop the cap off the Ace 'weatherproof' lock water will run out. Graphite, Tru-Flow, BreakFree, WD-40, doesn''t make a difference.

Reply to
rbowman

I've seen folks who cut part of inner tube, and make a flap that covers the entire lock. Bet you've done that?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LIke I knew that, (M)Oren.

Reply to
notbob

Well, duh!!

My guess would be, you should prevent the water from getting into the lock in the first place. Much to my amusement, this is one time a small piece of duct tape jes might actually solve yer problem. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Chunk of innertube over the lock to keep water off of it does work, though.

Reply to
clare

Stormin Mormon wrote a minute ago: > I've seen folks who cut part of inner tube, > and make a flap that covers the entire lock. > Bet you've done that?

- .. Christ> Chunk of innertube over the lock to

Stormy quoted: "now that you have read everything before doing any thing...."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, that's my next step. No reason to rush into things an weatherproof the lock in August.

Reply to
rbowman

Damn straight. I pulled the batteries out of all the bikes and wrapped them up for the winter yesterday. It's raining now, supposed to freeze overnight so tomorrow's drive to work will be a pleasure.

Reply to
rbowman

I got the snow shovels lined up by the deck. See if I can shovel snow one more year without having a coronary event.

Reply to
rbowman

Testify!

Reply to
notbob

My father died of a heart attack after shoveling snow at work. That crosses my mind every now and then as I shovel the driveway. Especially the 'at work' part. He was going to retire when I graduated college. I did so that spring. I'm getting close to the same age and I'm still working although some days I wonder why.

Reply to
rbowman

Good friend died at 59 last year while out shovelling snow with his sons. I'll shovel ligh snow - up to 2 inches or so, and away from doors and cars, but the heavy lifting is done by my Yamaha blower.

Reply to
clare