OT Camera tech support (not home repair)

This concerns my Canon G1-X

I rarely shoot video and that capability is not of major importance to me...but I did note that since it formats the memory card as Fat32 there is a 4 gig files size limit.

I did an experiment and pre-formatted the card as exFAT which has no 4 gig limit and the camera was able to use it just fine.

This morning I dashed off a email to Canon tech support mentioning that... and just a few minutes ago got a /real/ reply!

For them to respond in a non-robotic way on a weekend was quite impressive. I was told their Japan headquarters made the FAT32 decision and wanted to know more about my experience with exFAT and the camera.

Reply to
philo

I believe you formatted the card off the camera on PC?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, Windows XP and up have the ability to format a drive as exFAT

I never used exFAT before but recently need to transfer a data file (via USB stick) over 4 gigs to a Windows machine , a Linux machine and also a Mac.

exFAT was recognized by all with no problems

Reply to
philo

Hi, Canon may have to update firmwares so we can format on camera. I have a Canon Power Shot SX10.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If Canon would take my suggestion and want to use exFAT, then yes, they would have to issue a firmware update to give their cameras such ability.

Just because I gave a major corporation a suggestion is hardly reason for me to think they will actually take it.

Their philosophy might simply be that any serious producer of videos should simply get a camera specifically designed to do so.

Reply to
philo