OT: British Airways last two 747s took off from Heathrow this morning.

At about 8:45AM London time the last two 747s in British Airways fleet took off together for the last time, departing Heathrow for the salvage heap. Only about 30 are left in passenger service, Lufthansa I think now has the largest number remaining. Cumulatively 747s flew 3.5 bil passengers.

Reply to
trader_4

It sounds like the airlines are laying a bunch more off.

And

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Hate to see them go. I always liked the 747 having flown in a few different versions. My favorite 747 flight was a red eye from LA to DC. A total of 10 passengers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm not a big world traveller - exact opposite - but had a June vacation cancelled due to covid - - got a voucher from Air Canada - no worries - no big deal - except they have sent me a couple emails per week with "offers" "specials" etc etc ... Methinks they are in deep doo-doo .. .. along with the rest of the airline/cruise/vacation/tourist industry ... some will survive .. but it's a different market. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I had a similar experience back in the days of People's Express out of Newark to SFO. The flight took off a couple hours late, mechanics were working on one engine in the pouring rain. Didn't help make me feel comfortable, but I was sitting in the terminal pounding down bloody marys and by the time I got on, I had no worries. :)

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah, sitting around that upstairs lounge was how flying was supposed to be, not Sardines'R'Us.

Reply to
rbowman

I've only been on one once, a year ago, and before I left I made a point to see the 2nd floor. A disappointment. I thought there woudl be a piano with a good looking girl sitting on it. Instead, just a few seats and no windows.

ONe time just outside my window a guy was working on the engine. When he was done he took the cover plate and the screw, and he was hitting the top of the screw with the top end of a screwdriver, to get it in, or started at least. It didn't bother me because I do things like that, but I think many others would not be so happy.

Reply to
micky

They lost their charm when they removed the piano bar.

Reply to
gfretwell

Put the ones who are awake around the piano bar with free booze from

1st class and a couple of stews in gogo boots and mini skirts and you have a party. That was my favorite flight ever. ~(1973-4)
Reply to
gfretwell

Same here. 1976ish, red eye from Chi to NYC. This was back before airlines micromanaged fares minute by minute to encourage passengers to take those flights, so only a dozen people ...

The pilot actually had us move our seats for weight balancing, which I found amazing given the size and mass of the plane, but I later found out that yes, it's a real thing...

Reply to
danny burstein