OT: Boric Acid or Ammonium Alum

Got an small unlabeled container of white powder in the medicine cabinet...and no, it's not cocaine ;-)

It's either boric acid powder or ammonium alum powder.

Anyone remember from chemistry class how to test it to see which it is??

Reply to
Colour Sergeant Bourne

Taste it. Alum has an astringent taste, boric acid is sour.

Reply to
rbowman

Snort it ! Let us all know how it works out, if you are able. Our outdated / unknown pharma goes to the local pharmacy for disposal. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I would toss it myself as both chemicals are cheap but flame test should work:

invalid unparseable

If it is boric acid, add the cheapest honey you can find, some water, stir like hell, then pour it on an ant hill.

Ammonium alum can be used to keep pickles crispy and in some baking powder formulations. Boric acid is used in some mouthwashes and suppositories. As long as that's the only two choices for the unknown powder a couple of grains on your tongue won't be a problem. If it's high grade fentanyl you might be dead. Flushing it would be the best bet but...

Reply to
rbowman

Thanks all, I think the trash is the best option...

Reply to
Colour Sergeant Bourne

On 17 Jan 2024 01:38:32 GMT, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Do they come in the same package?

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz