OT, bank account

I recently got a few thousand from Unclaimed Property (a lot of people have money there and don't know it.) that I guess my mother left me, and I wanted to open a saving account, in a different bank so that if the bank I'm now failed, I'd still have a few thousand to live on until the agencies straighted out the first bank. (This sort of thing happened in Md. about 40 years ago, not to me, but to a bunch of people. Maybe the rules have changed but just to be sure.)

And the bank paid on savings accounts between 0.01 and 0.04% interest. Huh? When I was in high school they paid 3%, and in California you could get 5%. I know savings accounts are not the place for the highest return but 0.03%!!! (You only got 0.04 if you had more than a million deposited. What moron who has a million puts a million in a 0.04% savings account?)

That's what it said on the web but I thought I shoudl go ask. The web also said there were High Yield acounts paying 4.65% but only available "in eligble markets or at select locations". Huh? This is a regional bank with 400+ branches in 5 or 10 northeastern states. Don't they just pool all their deposits when they invest, and where could they find an investment so bad that they, after expenses, can pay only 0.03%?

But that's what they told me in person too.

My father was a local booster and always bought stock in any new business that opened up in our small home town of 50,000. But he also invested in national stocks, and he looked forward to retiring and spending his time playing the market. However he had rheumatic fever as a child in 1898 and died at 63. I was told when he died, he still had stock certificates from all the worthless local companies he had bought into. So since he couldn't do it, I was thinking I should. Even though, whenever I look into it, it seems incredibly boring. But I also wanted the account at a new bank to make it easy to keep track if I was winning or losing.

Reply to
micky

I thought maybe a Credit Union would be better - not really :

It seems like they are pushing people into the certificate vehicles - they probably make better fees ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks. I checked Bank of America, and by golly it was no better, but it too wanted my zipcode. Are they tying the interest rate to where I live?

I realize I haven't had any money in a savings account for a long time.

In high school we got a local to Indianapolis newpaper that had ads from a California bank offereing 5+% interest when local banks were 3% of a little more. I thought it was some kind of scam, but I got convinced that Calfornia was booming in the 60's and they needed to raise money. But afaik they didn't care where the depositors lived.

They must have changed things, some time between 1962 and now. I wonder when.

Reply to
micky

There are plenty of banks advertising CD's at "higher" rate nationally.

Reply to
Bob F

My credit union is way behind in the rates. about 3.5 % for CDs and lower for other things like savings.

I have a stock account with Schawb and just bought some 3 month T-bills for slightly over 5 %.

There is a bank about 40 miles away that advertises in the local paper for over 5 % for 7 and 12 month CDs.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

But with CD's your money is tied up for several months or years. When you get a notion to buy the next Xerox stock, you can't get your money (or maybe you can with a penalty?)

I dont' think they had CD's in 1962 when the banks were paying 3 or even

5%.
Reply to
micky

that is why I went with the shorter T-bills. They pay a well as the CDs and can be bought for shorter times. With the stock market being what it is now I doubt that any stock woukd be a good long time buy for now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My investment advisor disagrees. Even a conservative portfolio has some dividend-paying equities in it.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Get an account with

3 Month T-bills are paying 5.58%. You can link it to your checking account. Pretty easy to use.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You never even knew you had the $$. Sounds as though you don't need it for day to day expenses, want it to grow, but want safety. Suggest either 1 year CD or a money market savings account. Since it's a relatively small amount of $$, it would be protected by NCUA if deposited at a credit union, or by FDIC at a bank. Both fully insure up to $250K for the same depositor at the same institution. If you choose a bank, local savings and loan banks generally offer better rates than large commercial banks. Since it is found $$ for you, if you want to gamble a bit, buy a highly diversified stock or bond index fund from a no-load, very low management fee outfit such as Vanguard. If you want to be loyal to Maryland, T.Rowe Price is based in Maryland and also a well regarded source of mutual funds. Don't agonize over it. You never knew you had it.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Depends upon what you call "long term". People felt the same way in the early 1930s. My investment horizon is infinite; I buy and hold. I still own everything I bought in the 1970s unless it merged or liquidated. Over the long haul, stocks are an excellent investment. I'll admit you need additional resources for short term needs as well as a rainy day cushion as well as immense self-control during serious bear markets. However, if you have those attributes, it's worth the ride.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

From my perspective, it all depends upon how much you're stashing. If you're only putting in a few thousand, the annual difference between 3% and 5% is only about $20/year increase in interest per thousand invested. Sometimes it's not worth the effort to open the account and have another folder of paperwork to maintain.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

Where are you getting 3%? CDs?

Treasuries are liquid[*]. A CD isn't.

Dealing with treasury direct takes little to no time at all.

[*] If you buy them through a brokerage. With TD, it's hold to maturity.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'm getting 4.5% on a high $$ 1 year CD I purchased about 6 wks ago at a local community bank where I live.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

I do try to time the market for some of my IRA. When Biden got elected I sold about 1/3 of the IRA stock (which is in mutual funds) and put it in cash. Stock market went way down. A few months ago I put that cash in 3 to 5 month T-bills at about 4.5 %. They matured and now are in T- bills at over 5%. When I think the stock market will go back up that money will go back into stock.

I do believe long term the stock will go up, but I have been lucky timing the market and got out when it was high and back in when it was low 3 times . The 5 plus % of the T-bills look good to me for now.

I do have a regular stock account with less than 10 % of the ammount in the IRA that I play with in the stock market. I may trade some stock several times a week or it may be several weeks . That is money that I can afford to loose, but sofar I am doing ok with it.

I am on SS and have a pension that provides plenty for the wife and I for normal living. The RMD from the IRA is just money to splurge with. Like I bought a rear tine tiller this year. Already had a front tine tiller. The garden spot is only about 25 feet each way and I just raise tomatoes, squash, cukecumbers. Did not need the rear tine tiller for that, but just wanted it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

With the ammount of money I put in the T-bills vers what my credit union pays it is around $ 500 a year now. Not long ago it was much more as the CU paid less than 1 %. As all this is done on the computer and internet it is not much trouble.

I just paid off a car loan. I could have paid cash but there was a 0 % loan so I just left the money in stock for the most part and made automatic payments. Nothing to do for 5 or 6 years but let the computers at the bank and car dealer do the work.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

3.5% from the local credit union on a 6 month CD. Local means I can walk down the block and transact my business with a person in a brick and mortar location.

They've been fairly aggressive in following the market trends.

Reply to
rbowman

Thanks for jogging me. I received a notice that my CD at the local credit union was going to roll over but it didn't have the new rate. According to the website it's also 4.5%. The 6 month CD pays better than the longer term CDs. Apparently they are hedging their bets on the future.

Reply to
rbowman

Sorry to hear about your credit union's relatively low yield. I have a

4.45% 1 yr certificate I bought about 2 mos ago at Navy Federal Credit Union. Pays almost the same as the CD I mentioned in a previous post that I purchased at a local savings and loan bank. What the Fed does with the next interest rate setting is a tough call. They may want to tamp down inflation a little more and raise the rate another 1/4% or they may fear a government shut down causing a recession which would possibly require reducing rates in an effort to stimulate the economy again. The lady or the tiger? I've always thought that economics was akin to astrology. If economists really understood how the economy works in the real world, they all would be billionaires living on easy street and not need to be gainfully employed. Their recent predictions for the next month's this or next quarter's that have been wrong much more than right.
Reply to
Retirednoguilt

To be clear, checking, savings, money markets, and cd's are all in the same class when it comes to FDIC, so it's the combined total that's covered. A traditional IRA is in another class so that's protected separately.

Years ago a friend got a haircut when a bank failed because his accounts and a joint account with his mother were all totaled together. Being persistent he managed to get legislation passed in Massachusetts that banks have to be explicit when explaining FDIC coverage. He was pissed because he had actually asked and got an answer like 'No problem, you're covered.'

Reply to
rbowman