OT: Amazon Just Got On My "Sleazeball" List

Both articles full of weasel words:

"found that customers who do not pay for Prime may be getting slower delivery"

Key word "MAY".

Personally I find it doubtful that Amazon could manage the logistics it would take to intentionally slow shipping.

Reply to
Dan Espen

On 03/25/2016 1:00 PM, Dan Espen wrote: ...

It doesn't much need "managing", all they have to do is to place Prime customers in the queue first and by net result the rest will be slowed up.

As the article goes on to say, they're playing with fire...

Reply to
dpb

If that is all they are doing, that's entirely legitimate. (My opinion.)

They would be crossing the line if they were intentionally holding up shipment for no reason other than trying to force you to Prime.

Then they would indeed be playing with fire.

I still doubt they could or would do that. That kind of thing would not stay a secret for long.

Reply to
Dan Espen

That may be all that's happening, but IMO it is more than that -- My opinion.

I placed an order for a few light fixtures (in stock items) on the 16th and the delivery is scheduled for the 29th or 30th. That's two freakin' weeks to get from Colorado to Illinois! Hell, I could almost walk that far in that amount of time.

I don't.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Are you sure they are coming from Colorado? Things I order seem to come from all parts of the country. Could be coming from China to Colorado to Ill.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I see both sides.

I know how you feel, but I'd noticed that I got most of my stuff within 2 days with free shipping (and no Prime). So what incentive is there to sign up for prime?

Maybe this would bother me more, except the 2-day shipping was a bonus. Like you, I'm not in a hurry and if it takes 8 days, that's fine. Heck, some things from China take 3 to 5 weeks and that's okay too.

I have two bigger problems. They don't tell what shipping will cost if it's not free, and they raised the minimum from 25 to 35. Soon after that, they raised it to

  1. Now it's pretty easy if you need one thing, to find a second thing to make 25. But it's really hard for me to order 49.

Last night, 24 hours ago, I bought two things, and though I got the webpage back that said Order Complete, I got no emails from them. Now what does that mean? I"m happy I copied the important text out of the webpage, with the order/confirmation number.

Newegg is good and some of the others too.

Reply to
Micky

LOL

Reply to
Micky

Which of course is the least they can do for people called Prime

But even if no Prime orders arrived one week, the only problem in delaying shipping would be space to hold the stuff not shipped. A) they might already have some empty space, B) it would be worth getting some because if everyone gets their stuff in 2 days, it's not worth paying extra to get it in 2 days.

Reply to
Micky

Isn't Colorado a town in Japan or Taiwan?

Reply to
Micky

They really said that?!!

Sure, but I'm surprised they said that.

Reply to
Micky

I realize that Paypal didn't take money from my checking account either.

And I don't remember them charging sales tax, even though I read months ago in the local paper that they would from then on.

Ah, I can go to the Amazon website and see.

Both have shipped already!

Neither included sales tax, and a DVD that came from suburban DC in Maryland is already in Baltimore, at 2:34 this morning. It's one zipcode over so I may get it today. (They've sent stuff to this zipcode before, before shipping it to my zipcode not long after. It must be a hub.)

So much for them sitting on shipping these two items. I haven't even paid them yet.

This is why you should register wherever you are buying something. When you don't register, you can't check the order in the vendor's records.

Reply to
Micky

And what, may I ask, is wrong with that?

Prime customers are paying a premium in order to always have 2 day shipping. Those not willing to pay the premium are relegated to free shipping (in some instances) that takes 6 - 8 days.

Amazon delivers what they promise. I get my Prime order delivered in 2 days, others get theirs in the 6 to 8 day window that was promised.

As Clara Peller used to ask, "Where's the beef?"

Seems that some of us would complain if we were hanged with a new rope! ;)

My experience with Amazon and Amazon Prime has been great. Before I was a Prime member I'd often get packages in two or three days with their free (non-Prime) shipping even though they said it would take longer. Now, if the package doesn't arrive in two days and I call them on it. I get a profuse apology and they bend over backwards to make it right even to the point of the FIRST thing they do is extend my Prime membership by a month and then set to work on straightening out the missing/delayed delivery.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The package started in Phoenix, AZ. The next sighting of it was in Commerce City, CO where it is being delayed due to the weather.

Weather? I'm sure they're to politically correct to say "snow." How can it be snowing with all this global warming?

The latest news on my non-prime order is that it has made it to Lenexa, KS.

Not bad for ten days. It's a good thing I don't live on the East coast or I'd probably never get the shipment.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Amazon collects (not "charges") the tax for CT also, but not every order is taxed. Only if Amazon is the seller, not if they just process the order but the actual seller is third party.

Minor nitpick. People commonly say a store charges sales tax. The state actually charges the tax, the seller merely collects it for them. Thay don't like it any more than we do.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Amazon is supposed to be buying a half dozen 767 aircraft to lessen the delays and reduce cost. As long as your driveway is long enough for landing you can save a day of transit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Damn, just my luck to have a driveway that's only 150 feet long!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

...you still have the choice as a seller to pay the state tax and give the customer so-called "tax free", (add-on or included in the price).

Reply to
bob_villain

That makes sense, and you're right. Neither item was shipped (or sold) from their location. OTOH, the DVD came from 20 miles south of here, still in Maryland. It was only $2.95 plus 3.95 shipping bu that is still 18cents sales tax they don't seem to have collected. Maybe it was included in the price?

BTW, I could have bought a new DVD from Amazon for only 4$ more, instead of the used one I did buy, but to get shipping included, I would have to put together a $49 order. Much easier to buy from someone else, though Amazon gets a cut.

BTW, they still haven't billed me for either item, and the DVD is already here. It took 36 hours. Oh, that's why this is not a good test, because neither item was shipped by Amazon!

I know. I'm just saying it the way I usually, nay always, hear it.

Spoken like someone who owns a store, but I don't think you do. Maybe someone in your family does.

Reply to
Micky

You might be in luck. A drone delivered a package in a town of about 3,000 in Nevada. or

Dean Hoffman

The last couple things I've ordered have been shipped by UPS most of the way. The U.S. Post Office brought them the last fifty miles and to my mailbox.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman