OT: Alternatives to landline and VOIP telephones?

It is illegal to spam a cell phone and they actually put a dollar amount in that law so we have a lawyer advertising on TV that he will pursue those. (forthepeople.com/ Morgan and Morgan)

I assume he is only looking for repeat offenders and multiple plaintiffs to make it worth his while,

Reply to
gfretwell

I used to have a Tracfone, and (IIRC) their user "agreement" had a paragraph prohibiting "short codes".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Well, I was referring to my wired phone, and in that case I thought just that the phone wouldn't ring, and if one had caller id, maybe there would be an entry with a code to indiate blocked. So it would be much better. Do other companies still have Call Block?

I wouldn't be surprised if he'd want plaintiffs who only got one call, but most of them won't be annoyed enough to call him.

Yes, but he might be half-way to his number already or all t he way. He's still going to advertise to get as many as possible.

There was a case about 20 years ago, not involving spam. . Someone staying at a Hilton Hotel noticed that he was charged for 2 outgoing phone calls, total of only a dollar or two, but he knew he had made not a single call. Hilton had maybe 30 or 60 hotels in the US, with up to

2000 rooms in each (numbers are guesses) and he managed to show that they had been charging almost everyone for one or two calls they didn't make. Every night. 365 x 50 hotels x average of 400 rooms maybe .. these numbers must be low because it came to millions of dollars He won the class action, some money spent to notify the class, most don't bother to ask for their dollar a night, so almost 2/3 goes to charity and 1/3 goes to him.
Reply to
micky

Thanks. That confirms my suspicion that call block wouldn't help much.

I still wonder why they got rid of it. It was meant for annoying boy or girl friends, etc.

Reply to
micky

I contacted Time Warner Cable today about their $15/month internet access. The guy wouldn't stop asking for my social security number so he could "verify acceptibility." These kind of sales people give sales a bad name. I would problably have signed up only he was brushing off my questions about speed, etc., and trying enter an order.

"Oh, the technician can tell you that when comes to install it." BS on that.

Reply to
Guv Bob

They are always pretty ambagious with speed numbers, particularly on cable. There are lots of variables. The best they do is "up to x" If you really want to see the fancy footwork, ask them about some guarantee on reliability. For me, that was the killer with Comcast. They sucked and if you managed to get one stinking packet through on any given day your internet was "working" that day for billing purposes. It was very hard to actually get a refund ... as if that made up for looking at "server can not be found" all day.

The guy you talked to was just a salesman anyway, probably in a 3d world boiler room and he gets paid on what he can sell. They really want to credit check you before they spend any real time on you. No sense in "selling" a person who can't buy. (for any number of reasons)

Reply to
gfretwell

compatible system that works well. You can pick-up landline or cell calls from any of the cordless handsets.

What model Panasonic are you using? I have had a couple of Panasonic cordless phones and they have been first class, clear and never a problem.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I don't remember if I ever posted what I ended up doing. I added a new cell phone line to an exisiting AT&T account, then AT&T ported the land line number to the new phone.

FYI, how I did it for free.......

I bought an AT&T Go phone for $29 that had more than enough features. I was told you have to buy a phone from AT&T, and have been happy with them for 20+ years, so I didn't shop around.

Called the toll-free number in the Go phone package and got a number assigned. If you're going to add the phone to your AT&T account, don't pay anything to the Go phone people. You just need the number - no air time.

Took the Go phone to the AT&T store, they added a different SIM car, asigned a new number and activated it. No cost for any of this. Don't ask them about porting the land line.

Get your land line bill and call 611 from the new phone and have them port the land line number to it. When they go to get the Verizon (or whatever line company) on the phone, tell them you want to be part of that conversation. Get the Verizon rep's name, ID and location. I had Verizon and they tried to assign me a new number and keep the service going. They are creepy.

It took 4 days for the new cell to have the new number active. Land line should be dead by the next day.

Also, creepy Verizon sends a tech over to try and disconnect all the wiring from the house. Don't let them in the yard! I have heard from neighbors who switched to cable, that they something disconnect the cable. Personally, I did not want the phone line sending me any signals "accidentaly" to the interconnection box at my house, so I disconnected it myself.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I believe straightalk has a 15 buck a month cell phone for home use, unlimited phone and text. standard home phones plug into it.

check wallmart for more info

Reply to
bob haller

All I know is VOIP has opened the flood gates for unsolicited calls not covered/prohibited by the Federal DoNotCall registry program.

I love it when I get a call with a strong Indian or Pakistani accent and the ID on my cell or land phone reads "Florida" or "San Antonio"!

Unfortunately the DNC list is as good as a finger in Titanic's side in those cases. :(

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Try this, I setup my FIOS line with it and its great. If its a spammer, my phone rings one time. I dont even have to look at caller ID anymore unless it rings more than once Doesn't work with all providers, but I think most "digital"services are Best of all, its free

ChairMan

It's amazing people still buy from telephone solicitors.

Reply to
bubba

Nomorobo claims no support for google voice. If I understand the video, GV already has the simultaneous ring technology. I use it myself. All we'd need is the phone number for nomorobo and stick that into the call forward list at GV.

Anybody got the number?

Reply to
mike

AFAIK, the DNC law covers VOIP phones too. You have something that says otherwise?

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4:

Sure, you can register VOIP phone#s. But do they cover the CALLS that can be made VOIP?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Yes, AFAIK, the law didn't say the call had to originate on copper, terminate on copper, or what it traveled on in between. You're suggesting otherwise, so show us.

Reply to
trader_4

trader:

My concern is not with the conveyance of these calls, it is with the COUNTRY of origin. As far as I know, DNC has no jurisdiction over calls ORIGINATING from outside of the US, whetether they are copper, fiber, or voip in nature.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

K, so I think what you're saying is that VOIP has enabled cheap calls to be made from most worldwide locations to the USA and that has allowed telemarketers to get around the DNC list. I agree that's probably a valid point. On the other hand, I'm on the DNC list and I rarely have any of those calls, so it hasn't been a problem for me. Why it would be for some and not others IDK.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 wrote: "K, so I think what you're saying is that VOIP has enabled cheap calls to be made from most worldwide locations to the USA and that has allowed telemarketers"

YESSS!!

And both my mobile and landline are getting SLAMMED. We're thinking of changing all our numbers, and this time NOT registering them DNC. (remember a few years back the Fed "sold a list of mobile numbers?)

Reply to
thekmanrocks