OT 70% of poison control calls in Mississippi are now beccause people have taken ivermectin

Hmmm. I would have thought that the local or State Dept. Of Public Health would call the shots on this sort of thing - and the School Board would simply implement the instructions ... John T.

Reply to
hubops

It may depend on how the state rules on the requirements and then you get the trickle down effect . That is say the govenor says masks are not needed, but then gives the county the sayso, then if they make it optional, the school board takes over.

I don't recall the Dept . of PUblic Health haveing any say so around here. They may make recommendations to the schools.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If ingestion is very recent, plenty of water or milk will dilute the bleach. If the patient can't swallow, ER.

As to Ivermectine, there are a dozen Brazilians waiting for a liver transplant after poisoning themselves with it. It also destroys brain cells(not an issue for Trumpets or Bolsonarians). []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Your School Boards have Doctors and Epidemiologosts on contract ? Our School Boards have housewives and retired people - who rely on the medical expertise of - - the County < usually 2 Counties > Chief Medical Officer - the Province's Chief Medical Officer Of Health .. who are doctors - not politicians. Ontario <pop. 14.5 million> is 75 % vaccinated < 2-shots ; over 12 years old > 140 in ICU. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Not around here:

The school board and county march to their own drummers. Last year some counties had a mandate, some didn't, until the Democratic state administration declared a state wide mandate. The Democrats were replaced in November and the mandate lifted.

I doubt the state mandates will be coming back. We have more in common with our neighbor Alberta than the east coast cesspool.

https://thepulse.one/2021/08/05/alberta-abandons-most-mask-mandates-testing-isolation-requirements/ "According to Alberta?s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, COVID is not going anywhere and it?s here to stay, and because of that, it?s something we?re going to have to learn to live with."

Reply to
rbowman

You need a new chief medical officer.

https://thepulse.one/2021/08/05/alberta-abandons-most-mask-mandates-testing-isolation-requirements/

Reply to
rbowman

Alberta pop. 4.5 m. : in hospital = 220 Ontario pop. 14.5 m. : in hospital = 178

... just sayin' John T.

Reply to
hubops

School boards think they are a separate branch of government and they like to make their own rules. In Florida they even have their own building code and if you want to be an inspector in schools you need different training and certification. I did get SREF certified but I never worked in that arena. It was an interesting course of instruction. I learned lots of things about schools that are different than anything they did when I was there. I never knew schools had "time out" rooms (basically a padded cell) but it is in their building code. I thought the school cops just body slammed and tazed them ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

They tend to be old school teachers here. Vertical integration at it's finest. The whole education establishment is run by people who went to school when they were 4 or 5 and didn't leave for 60+ years. Then we wonder why they are so out of touch.

Reply to
gfretwell

When I was in school we did not have cops and tazers. We had men or women that had anywhere from the wooden foot rulers for knuckle slapping to one that had a canoe ore for butt slapping. The 'time out room' was a trip to the principal's office and when your parents got there it was a real ass whooping in many cases.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I well remember those good-old-days - in Grade 1 - in a 6-grade 1-room 1-teacher school .. .. and clearly remember thinking " _That_ can't be helping matters at all .. " as the teacher berated, humiliated, and shamed to tears my little 7 year old classmate .. .. because she stuttered .. The same teacher would find some reason to get out the strap every couple weeks or so - and apply it to the same few guys - - to absolutely no avail .. Good riddance to the good-old-days. John T.

Reply to
hubops

They had a principal give a kid a paddling in front of the parent, who authorized it and the principal still got in trouble.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've heard some amazing numbers, like my vague memory for some school district was 7 cases the first week? and 40 the second (I'll see if I can find some real numbers), but they didn't actually say how it compared to before school started. But if it's all from school, unless they or others could show some special thing this school district was doing wrong, like playing Spin the Bottle, or kids teaching CPR on each other, even one such school district seem to me enough to scare all the others.

This one says COVID Cases Rise in Georgia's Largest School District Despite Child Mask Mandate

rather than concluding that masks don't work!, I'd conclude that they should be pulling out all the stops and trying everything at the same time.

"COVID-19 cases are increasing in Georgia's largest school district, despite there being a mandate in place for children to wear masks at school.

School administrators say that the case numbers are low, but rising in the district.

"We are seeing a positive and probable case rate much higher than we anticipated," Associate Superintendent Al Turner told WASB-TV.About 0.5 percent, or 947 students, have been impacted by COVID-19 in the district so far, administrators said.

On Thursday, Gwinnett County [Georgia] Public Schools confirmed an additional 112 confirmed cases at the schools over the last 24 hours. It included 14 staff and 98 students, along with another 31 probable cases and 292 close contacts.

This one is interesting too. Aug 6.

"Texas won?t require schools to notify parents of COVID-19 cases

"Texas school districts will not be required to conduct contact tracing this year if a student contracts COVID-19, according to new guidelines issued by the Texas Education Agency this week.

The agency said a district should notify parents if it learns of a student who has been a close contact to someone with the virus. But with the relaxation of contact tracing, broad notifications will not be mandatory."

That's just great.

Reply to
micky

Says it all doesn't it?

Schools are super spreaders, masks or not. Being on a school bus is probably worse than actually being in school. It would be interesting to look at all the raw data if it was ever collected. Data points I would want to see are

Local Covid rate School covid rate Bused or not Masks or not PE/sports or not Preexisting conditions Severity of illness Teacher /Staff vaccination status

I bet masks don't bend that curve much when weighted against the other factors.

Reply to
gfretwell

I remember school too. Started 1st grade in 1952, in a city of 50,000 between Pittsburgh, Pa. and Youngstown Ohio.

In 12 years I don't remember anyone ever being kicked out of class, anyone having a real argument with a teacher, and certainly not any physical punishment by any teacher. I can say with confidence that nnone of those things ever happened.

This post is getting long so let me interrupt and talk about grades 1 to

  1. We had a girl like the one in your class, who stuttered. It took a long time for her to get the answer out, and the teacher, who called on her as frequently or almost as the rest of us, just waited until she finished. And so did everyone in the class. There was no laughing, snickering, nothing, ever. I dont' remember any teacher ever having to warn the class or rebuke anyone. Most of them may have been in kindergarten and maybe she was too. Maybe they learned how to behave there, or their parents taught them. I never discussed it with my parents. I don't remember ever being taught not to make fun of people, but I never did it either.

I just looked her up. She died 6 years ago. I wonder if I'd thought of this earlier if I'd have had nerve enough to call her and ask about her school experience.

Ms. D---- graduated from --- ----- High School in 1964 and business college in California. She was a member of Presbyterian Church [next to the grade school and across the street from my house]. She retired in December, 2011 from Jameson Memorial Hospital after 35 years in the purchasing department. [2011 made her 64 or 65] [She] enjoyed reading, computer games, and sports - especially pro football. She loved the Pittsburgh Steelers. According to her wishes there will be no visitation, and burial will be private. Memorial contributions may be made to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation,...or to the Jameson Hospice, who were a tremendous help to her. [I guess she never married.]

I went to my 20th high school reunion, even though I didn't go to high school there, and I actually saw 6 of the other 29 kids from my grades

1-6. I was hoping to learn about what happened to the girl above and the girls that follow in this and the next paragraph. IIRC, I asked about 2 of them but learned little or nothing. But one of them was there and we talked for a while. During school, she never knew the answer to a teacher's question. Again, the class just waited. No one laughed, no one snickered. 20 years after HS, She had married and was still married, lived in iirc Switzerland, learned French, and seemed as smart as anyone else. It was hard to phrase my question, when the obvious question was Why did you appear stupid and ugly in grammar school? But I promise you I managed to turn the subject to those times nicely, and she said she was just very shy and her mother never washed her hair, and that's why her hair looked as it did (dangling down like it was heavy and dirty. School girls didn't get actual hairdos in those days, but they did get decent haircuts and she didn't seem to have one. )

And a third girl also never knew the answer to the question, and we waited patiently. She was fat too. Even as a little boy, I thought that wasn't just a coincidence, her fatness, the other girl's "ugliness", and their inability to answer questions. OTOH, the girl who stuttered looked like other kids.

Oh, yeah, boys did tease me, and some others, during non-organized baseball or maybe it was softball, by calling Easy out, when I or they were batting. That wasn't good but the teasing was not the problem, the much bigger problem was that it was true. (Many years later I learned to take seriously, Keep your eye on the ball. I used to just look in its general direction. It's amazing what a difference looking AT the ball makes.)

I paid attention to all this in part because even by the fifth grade, maybe earlier, I had more than once heard the cliche, "Children can be so cruel" and I still remember one time walking across the playground and thinking to myself, "I wonder what they mean by that." Because I'd never seen a kid be cruel, and I wondered what form it took. [I finally found some nasty contemporaries when I was 40 or 50 or more and I still don't take it well, I suspect because I was not hardened in grammar school or high school. It's probably related to my inability to understand those southern governors and the politicians who ignore their duty.]

So were there any problems at all? The worst incident I can recall involved me. 1) In the 8th grad the female teacher said, Take your seats. And for some reason, I said, Where should we take them? She may have given me a glare. Other than that, nothing, of course. That's the worst incident there was.

In 9th grade, the geometry teacher was a problem, not the students. We were the only geometry class in the 9th grade, and we had been the only algebra class in the 8th grade. I asked what later I decided was an unnecessary question anyhow, but he didn't seem to know the answer. And later, he would ignore me when I tried to ask a question, also real questions. We had story questions in the book and one was about how to use cosines or something to figure out how tall an industrial smoke stack was, and the story said that tall chimneys drew better. And Norman asked why they did. 4 or 5 school days later, he brought in a book and made Norman stand in the front of the room and read several lines. All they said was that tall chimneys drew better, but not why. There was some similar incident involving a 3rd student. Two or 3 classmates said I should complain to the principal, but I didn't want to do that. I may have gotten this from my mother who didn't like to complain to a boss, I think because the punishment might be bigger than is warranted. So I decided to stay after school and talk to him. I got nowhere. Other kids I new were in his study hall, and he couldnt' hear what was going on. They played the radio and he didnt' hear it.

In 10th grade I was in Algebra 2 of course, but not the honors class where all my geometry classmates were. After 6 weeks there was a test, the same one for every class. I learned the honors class was a chapter further along, but the test didn't cover that. I got the highest score including my previous classmates, so the teachers decided to transfer me back to my class. I had no trouble catching up on my own the chapter I'd missed in class. I made nothing but A's in geometry so apparently the geometry teacher retaliated against me because I asked one, probably two questions he couldn't answer. I know what one of them was. It should have been easy to answer.

There was one other "incident" during 8th grade gym. We were outside and walking back a kid who actually had muscles iirc, when no one else did, walked closer to me than people normally do and i can't remember what he said but it was threatening. I told the gym teacher and it never happened again.

That's it.

My friend tells me I grew up in Pleasantville and most people don't. It seems to be true.

Reply to
micky

I had on a KN95 mask and I've gone back to being a hermit, but you make a verrry good point. I was only about 2 feet from him. I guess his father should have complained but he didn't.

Next time I'll only do it if we're outside and I can be six feet away.

Reply to
micky

No it does not, because you don't know that it would have been WORSE, without masks. It's just logic, science 101, why are you always wrong? And if schools are superspreaders, why aren't you here speaking out against stupid governors, like your own. Just do remote.

Reply to
trader_4

Can we get some clarification. You were in first grade for 12 years?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My advice is don't f*ck with other people's kids. You might need that KN95 mask to stop the bleeding when they break your nose.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah I have this African Gri Gri amulet that keeps the lions away and it has really been working for me.

We still have not seen a controlled study of mask vs no mask with all other factors being equal. That is science.

Reply to
gfretwell