Opinions on Stainless Steel wax?

We recently installed new stainless steel kitchen appliances. They look great but fingerprints are a major problem. My wife and I are continuously 'polishing' these marks away with whatever is handy every time we enter the kitchen.

I have seen various products on the market labelled 'Stainless Steel Wax', or something similar. They appear to be little more than wax with, perhaps, a bit of polish. Are these any good? Are there any better alternatives?

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

Close the mini blinds, turn down the lights!

OK, sorry, seriously...anything like that would totally go against the *intent* of stainless. SS exists to be used, cleaned, and then repeat the cycle forever. 2 biggest points are that it lasts forever and it cleans up super easily, no matter what you get on it. Sorry, but I moonlight in a restaurant, and everything is SS, from the work surfaces to the big mixing bowls, and there's nothing better than seeing it all cleaned up at the end of a night. Learn to appreciate its natural beauty, and keep wiping the fingerprints with a dry, lint-free towel.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Maybe someone at alt.automobile.delorean can help.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Yep, out of those 15 owners, surely one or two of them must still be alive and using he Inernet!

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

And they'd *snort* probably say *snort* to use *snort* Windex. It streaks, so be careful. Betco makes a stainless steel polish. I'd be careful with a wax since it could get "into" the grain of the steel.

Reply to
ryeish

%#*& keyboard. I gotta start proofreading. -t-he Internet.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Don't was it. Just get used to cleaning it often, and if you have small children plan on cleaning it continuously. ;-)

I found a fabulous stainless steel cleaner in Germany (can't remember the name of manufacturer) but the boxes I packed it in won't be here for a couple of months.

Home Depot has an aerosol stainless cleaner that work's pretty well.

RB

Mike Hartigan wrote:

marks

Reply to
RB

Yup, it should be HIS internet, since Al Gore did invent it. :D

Reply to
ryeish

'polishing' these marks

I had an SS island cooking hood. I called a friend that likes SS and he said buy the spray cleaner at Lowes. I did and it worked great. Just a little until you get use to it.

Personally I will never have a SS steel anything except for a sink again. Just to much work to keep looking good.

Reply to
SQLit

marks

You can try these products. But, I'd be extra cautious about using any product that is not specifically for stainless steel. Abrasive products can dull shiny steel surfaces too. I use an auto polisher on my stainless steel sink once a year to restore the luster.

Reply to
Phisherman

ive watched my mom wage this war for years with various products. i'm convinced it cannot be won.

randy

'polishing' these marks

Reply to
xrongor

'polishing' these marks

I fought that battle for many years in the food service business. At one time or another we tried every SS polish product on the market at that time. Unless there is some new miracle product that I am not aware of, windex (not a generic brand) and lots of nice dry paper towels are your best choice for home use. Streaks are avoided by using a really dry towel for the final wipe.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I just remembered how we cleaned the SS surfaces at McDonalds. We used soda water and paper towels.

Reply to
Phisherman