opening corroded aluminum crank/jalousie windows

Howdy. My house's previous owners glassed in the back porch using jalousie windows -- the kind that you see in mobile homes, three-four horizontal panes per window opening that crank open partway. The crank and hinge mechanisms are aluminum and badly corroded -- clearly haven't been used or maintained in years. Replacing them is off the table for now. Any ideas for getting them open? Acid scrub? I assume I'll have to remove the inside finish strips to access the mechanisms, too -- any suggestions beyond lining up parts so I can replace them?

All advice appreciated. The other half is under the impression that I know about these things. [eyeroll]

Reply to
petrichor1969

That was the most common style of window in Southern Florida for years. Since A/C, a lot don't get opened often. The best way to get them going is try to get them open with the crank, hopefully enough to release the hooks (windows start opening) then remove the crank assembly (3 screws) and you can pull the windows open manually. Lubricate all of the pivot points and slides with WD/40 to get it moving, then use some real oil on them (motor oil works). Usually that frees them right up. After you get them going, be sure to operate them regularly as soon as you turn off the A/C in the fall and lube them at least once a year. When you are pulling on the windows, pull from the outside edges evenly or you can break the glass and be sure the hooks released.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks! I'll give that a go in the morning.

Reply to
petrichor