Open jaw electrical tester recommendations

Considering getting one of these. Anyone have good or bad words about any?

Would be looking for up to $100 price tag for household, appliance wiring and the like.

Reply to
Red Green

Hi, I use Amprobe model which csn read current and voltage simultaneously. Also it has temp. probe, general purpose multimeter function. It has dual display window and true rms reading type. Try eBay.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9A37DEEB57A29RedGreen@216.196.97.136:

Any idea how important True RMS is for this app? I am familiar with what RMS is with regard to waveforms, noise, overshoot, etc.

Reply to
Red Green

Tony Hwang wrote in news:W5Roj.34671$4w.30932@pd7urf2no:

Did some online checking on these. Went to Amprobe website. Nice, they have user manuals.

I'm getting the impression the clamp portion can only be used for current and not voltage?

"DC Voltage, AC Voltage, Hz Frequency functions Inputs are made through the test lead terminals. Move the slide-switch to the ?V? position."

I'm also getting the impression that you can't just clamp around regular home line wall wiring.

" Clamp the jaws around only one single conductor of a circuit for load current measurement. Enclosing more than one conductor of a circuit will result in differential current (like identifying leakage current) measurement."

Reply to
Red Green

yeah clamp is for current only, voltage requires a direct connection......

i use one of these nearly every day for work

Reply to
hallerb

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the reply. Looks like if voltage presence is prime use my Greenlee non-contact pen type is fine. Take out DVM for other functions as needed.

If DVM craps out then I would probably go with a clamp on.

Red...

Reply to
Red Green

Get a clamp on amp probe to use with the DVM, no need to spend more for a dedicated unit. I recently got a TPI A296 hall effect AC/DC clamp on amp probe good for 1,600A AC / 2,000A DC for a whopping $60. It works well with my Fluke 87. The Fluke equivalent is about $200 more...

Reply to
Pete C.