Open end & box wrench set over 1 inch

All I can think of is tightening the halves of a union on pieces of pipe prior to screwing them into something else unless you wanted the wrench to be a permanent part of the assembly. Of course, you'd have to use a pipe wrench or vise on the pipe itself.

I've got a set of brake line wrenches but I think the biggest they go to

1 1/8.
Reply to
rbowman

I'm sure she meant well, bless her heart...

'This product has been discontinued and replaced with a newer one. '

Oddly they don't provide a link to the new, improved version. At least it's less destructive than a universal socket:

rbowman

About $30 EACH is doable for large wrenches. 6 piece (1 3/8 to 2 inch) set from Princess Auto is $120 Canadian - reasonable but not exceptional quality mirror polished chrome vanadium steel.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Or a big crescent wrench.

Where I usually end up needing a big wrench is on the trailer hitch balls

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Acdtually they are made for parallel jaw tools to work on them - the 6 sides is to give 3 possible orientations so you can get away with a shorter swing than you couls on a 2 or 4 sided fastener.

As far as how many points on a combo wrench, virtually every decent box end wrench (or "ring spanner" as our brit friends call them) are

12 point and the open end or "jaw" wrenches are angled 30 degrees so you can split the differenc by flipping thne wrench
Reply to
Clare Snyder

on it it is not designed to do the job it is sold for. I can see it POSSIBLY being useable for plumbing fixtures that are made of brass and have not been installed for more than2 or 3 years

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Are you going to cut the line / pipe to get the wrench on or off??? The gland nut is about the only place I'd see them being handy.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Fri, 05 Feb 2021 23:31:37 -0500, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

That is how one can tell a newbie from experienced.

Reply to
Tekkie©