Online NEC

Is there a web site that has the National Electrical Code in a learning-type environment? I'd like to learn more about code, but I don't have the time or need to attend classes at the local community college.

Reply to
mcp6453

Not in compliance w/ copyright laws, etc., there won't be, no; at least if you mean simply for the logging on.

Reply to
dpb

local library will be able to lend you a copy.

RicodJour

I wasn't suggesting that the course had to be free. I just went to the state regulatory board's web site, and they do list a number of companies offering licensure courses.

What I have not been able to determine is whether there are mandatory classroom attendance requirements to get a limited license. From what I have read, if you pass the test, meet the continuing education requirements, and pay the fees, you get the license. Is that correct, at least where you are?

Reply to
mcp6453

mcp6453 wrote: ...

OK, I thought you were requesting an open link to the NEC itself.

All depends on the particular State/local requirements.

Nothing other than the test (and concomitant fees, of course :) ) is required here. They don't care where/how you got the knowledge; all you have to do is demonstrate you have it.

I'd think there would be quite a number of online for-fee courses; how well they might be tailored to specific local requirements would obviously vary w/ how local/general they are.

Most community colleges/tech schools have online options available now as well.

--

Reply to
dpb

The NFPA was sued and now has the NEC online but the suit did not make it easy to use or particularly instructive. There are a number of online training companies but they are not cheap. I use Red Vector for CEUs occasionally. If you don't need the credit hours, I would look at university distance learning courses. Usually if you don't want to get a transcript they are free.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can read the 2008 NEC online for free by going here:

You have to sign up for a free account, but you don't have to enter your real ID information.

Or, if the link above doesn't work correctly, just do a Google search for "NEC online free" (without the quoatation marks).

As far as courses, I don't know, but there may be books of interest like the one someone else here posted.

Reply to
Jay-T

Get the 2008 NEC Handbook. This has pictures and explanations along with the code. Preview and get that book here...

Bill

[snipped]

Or here, without the need to sign up:

Doug Miller

There are many online schools, just google it. You didn't want anything free did you?

Reply to
Tony

Go to Amazon.com and check out the publications they sell. Most anything would be better than the inscrutable NEC code writings. There are illustrated code guides. and test preparation books that might be exactly what you need.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You would need to check with your state requirements. Here there is no such thing as a "limited" license. In order to become a licensed journeyman here requires a minimum of 3 years on the job training plus classes while holding what is locally called a green card. The green card identifies for whom you are working and you cannot be on a jobsite performing any electrical work or touching any electrical materials without one and an onsite licensed journeyman or contractor.

Reply to
DanG

Thanks for a great link! I would suggest anyone doing electrical work should get a copy of one or more of Ugly's Electrical References.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have read that, more generally, building codes can't be copyrighted. I'm not a lawyer, but I read it on the internet so it must be true. There was a cited legal case which I might be able to find in my notes.

Reply to
bud--

I remembered a site that has .pdfs of the various codes for each state. The link was at Wikipedia "national electrical code" and goes to:

looks like this has .pdf versions of national codes including several years of the NEC and IBC. What looks like the 2008 NEC is 127M. I haven't downloaded anything. If anyone does please report back.

Wikipedia also references a court decision:

Court of Appeals, 5th circuit, 2002, holds that model building codes that have been adopted can, at least in some instances, be reproduced by others. The codes in the link above are, I presume, in compliance with this decision. Putting up the 2008NEC may be a copyright violation. Putting up the Minnesota electrical code (whicy is essentially the

2008NEC) probably isn't.
Reply to
bud--

I downloaded the electric code for Idaho. It is 841 pages of a scanned in copy of the 2008 NEC with the first 3 pages being Idaho specific.

Great site!

Reply to
Limp Arbor