One more question on the 1' short garage - below "Hate such builder"

Hi,

I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17' 6" net, garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility platform. My van is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18" clearance head and tail combine. Can an average person with reasonable care park it on daily basis without too much difficulties? I don't have such experience. Cannot try it now because the driveway concrete is only one day old.

Your input is appreciated.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

just rig up one of the hanging tennis ball thingmagjiggers. have someone guide you in, and when you are where you want to be. hang a tennis ball from a string and make it so it just barely touches your windshield. when the ball hits windshield, its time to stop. same result can come from a set of chocks placed on the floor or even a 2x4

Reply to
I R Baboon

Get a "SmartPark" pad and glue it down to a clean floor. The ball idea I R suggested also works, but I like the pad better. BTY put a recycle container or even an empty cardboard box in place at the end of the garage to remind you if you overshoot a little.

Joseph Meehan

i believe nowadays in this newfangled century, they even make electronic devices just for this purpose. both ones that use a light beam across the path which will be broken when the tires pass it, and ones that use a 'radar' type system that senses how far the car is from the wall. pull forward til you hear the beep.

not that they work any better than the tennis/wiffle/whatever ball method....

randy

Reply to
xrongor

will your van fit under the door

Reply to
bumtracks

"Bob" wrote in news:ctkouv$2m7b$ snipped-for-privacy@news.fsr.net:

My husband got our truck into the garage. With the door closed there was hardly even 1 inch space. He had to creep it in there and get the bumper directly onto the studs w/o smashing anything.

For my car, it was too long for the garage. He notched out 2 studs for the bumper to fit into to be able to get the whole car inside.

Reply to
Marina

Why did you buy a house with such a small garage?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Or, why not trade in the truck for a smaller one?

Reply to
Phisherman

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:nnqLd.15168$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

Let's see, last time I looked this was a group for offering experiences about how we got around problems and not a wise cracking group on personal choices. If you want to be the wise guy, then you'll just be ignored. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Let's see, last time I looked this was a group for offering experiences about how we got around problems and not a wise cracking group on personal choices. If you want to be the wise guy, then you'll just be ignored. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Bob,

I think you need to speak with the builder before you close on this house. It seems to me that it will be very hard for you and any passengers to walk in front of or behind your van when it is in the garage. Thus you will be loading and unloading in the driveway. Moving the van every time you want to take out the trash or get to stored stuff is going to become really annoying. Adding a "bump out" at the door end to give you 1 or 2 more feet is easy and shouldn't break the builder's company. It's his problem, it's not acceptable, and he needs to fix it.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Lighten up. I was going to suggest your husband remove the truck's bumpers.

Reply to
JerryMouse

Tennis ball: $1, very reliable and will even work during a power outage. ;)

Reply to
Sam O'Nella

Lighten up!

You take yourself way too serious.

PJ

Reply to
JimL

JimL wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OIC. I didn't realize. Marina

Reply to
Marina

"JerryMouse" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

OIC, I didn't know. Marina

Reply to
Marina

myX had no problem with about the same clearances - not enough room to scoot behind it at all but you could just barely squeeze your legs past her front bumper - she never complained.

I used to back a boat into a garage at an angle so its motor would end up in a door regress and had no room to spare at the trailer tongue - so it had fractional inches of clearances and I don't recall dicking around with it often.

Reply to
bumtracks

I am surprised that anyone would build a garage less than 24 feet deep! My garage is 38 feet deep and it is too small! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I went back and read your first post, I would be pissed! I don't know what recourse you would have, but if the plans clearly stated a

24 foot deep garage I would be asking the builder what he plans to do about it! For me it would be a MAJOR aggravation! Greg
Reply to
Greg O