Older GE washer does not hold water

My older style GE washer leakes like a sieve. In all wash cycles during fill phase, water leaks straight to floor. Only about a hlaf inch will collect in the inner drum before leaking to the floor. I have removed the rear panel and inspected the leak. It appears to be coming from the gasket between inner and outer drum. I do not see any holes in the outside drum. We had no problems for many years until we moved the washer to our new house. It failed druing the very first use. Is it possible that the move disturbed or broke something in this area? Assuming it is a gasket, how do I go about separating the inner and outer drum to make this reapair? Is this cost effective and is this something I should attempt myself?

Thank you for any help! ~Chris

Reply to
Chris Otto

When you say older style, are you saying you have the old machine with the "boot" that separated the inner and outer tubs. If so, the boot may have developed a tear during the move or the stainless steel clamps that hold the boot to the inner and outer may have broke and thus the boot is not held tight enough to hold water. I had the clamps rust out (yes, cheap stainless will rust) on an old GE washer and thus let the machine leak. If this is the type of machine you have, remove the agitator and it will be obvious then, how to remove the inner tub and replace the boot. If you have the newer style without the boot, check with GE to see if this is covered under warranty. The inner tub has a lifetime warranty and it seems to me that might have covered the gasket, too. I think the outer tub might have had, like a ten year warranty.

Reply to
Tom

Hi,

These may help.....

Outer tank may be rusted, rubber boot may have come off or ripped.
wash tub boot seal.

A copy....

**Unplug washer. Remove agitator from washer by pulling straight up on it, some agitators have a bolt under the cap, remove cap and look for a bolt first. Remove the agitator bearing from transmission hub. Get top up by pressing on 2 clips located about 6 in in from side between top and cabinet. Putty knife or flat blade screwdriver works well here. Take the filter flow tube off. Lift top. Remove three bolts holding basket to hub. Lift basket out of washer. Remove the two clamps holding the black boot to the tub and to the transmission.**

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thank you for the help! This did the trick.

Reply to
Chris Otto

Hi,

Just a bad boot? Just wondering :)