Maytag A490 - Series 02 Washer - Timer does not advance

The Timer on my Maytag A490 - Series 02 Washer (~25 Years Old) does not advance. Moving the timer manually does allow the washer to advance cycles. How can I determine if I need to replace the Timer Motor, full Timer Assembly or take another action.

When I took off the control panel, I did notice that the Timer Motor was quite warm to the touch.

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
WilboWorks

There is usually something on the timer motor you can see to determine if it's working. In most washers, the motor advances the main timer cam one ratchet click every 30 or so seconds. If the washer has a water level sensor, the timer doesn't get power until the tub is filled. If the level switch is at fault, the timer should advance during non-fill cycles. A common problem is the stripped gears in the timer motor. This is usually evident upon visual examination of the timer motor and escapement after removing it from the rest of the timer assembly.

Reply to
Bob

Bob - Thanks for the feedback. Upon closer inspection of the timer motor, I did find that the gears appear to be stripped. The motor turns freely when removed from the assembly, but stops/skips when pressure is applied.

Thanks again. John

Reply to
WilboWorks