Maytag washer problem

I have a Maytag Performa (PAV2000AWW) 1998 vintage, top loading washer. It made some strange noise and also an electrical burn smell and quit working. I was never able to find the origin of the smell but pulled the motor out and found that the bearings were worn and letting the shaft move some laterally. I figured that the motor was toast, and the problem. I sent away for a new one and installed it. When I tried to turn it on, the motor would only hum or buzz. So, I went down to the local parts store and bought a new timer. Same story. The belt is fine, agitator pulley and pump pulley both turn freely, no binding at all. I can't find anything wrong with switches such as the door. It fills OK, and when at the proper level, tries to start by making the motor hum again. Sounds to me like they sent me a dud motor. I took photos of the wiring before I disassembled, so I can't see a problem there. Any experience with similar problems, or ideas from anyone would be appreciated. Guess it's down to the local Laundromat ... arggh. :'( Thanks in advance

Reply to
Forrest

Sounds like you haven't found the problem (maybe caused by a motor with worn out bearings)

Reply to
Meat Plow

If the machine has a capacitor I would suggest replacing it.

Reply to
nmnn.mn

Actually, I can't find anything else to replace. No capacitor. The harness wires go from the timer to the motor and some others to the selector switches, lid switch and fill solenoids. They appear to be all working OK. It's a pretty bare bones system. The motor came as an assembly with the "box" connector thing on top. I opened the one on the old motor and there are a couple of contact points inside. Anywhooo .... Thanks

Reply to
Forrest

I replaced a motor about 4-5 years ago in a dryer, and it didn't work. I took it back to the appliance parts place and they took it in the back to test it. It was wired wrong. So were 2 of 3 others on the shelf. The guy made some comment about the motors built in Mexico vs some US city. I got the only one on the shelf that worked.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Good call as I recall hearing about this crap myself somewhere down the line.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I just took a look at the labels on the old and new motor. They are identical and say, "assembled in Mexico".

Reply to
Forrest