Duet Washer drum

Hello

I have a Duet washer model # ghw9100lw2. How is the inner metal drum connected to the outer plastic drum? the inner drum is seems loose and flappng around. it looks like it should be centered in the plastic outer drum but the bottom lip of the metal drum is hitting the outer drum so the bottom touches and there is about a one inch space at the top. It looks like there should be about a half inch gap all around. since the washer was being used for a few days like this not knowing there is a problem the metal drum backing against the plastic outer drum has caused the edge of the plastic drum to start to splinter. maybe there was more to the outer drum that broke off with the constant banging. I've been searching for how to remove the drum to see if i can figure out what the problem is but no luck. and looking at the parts diagram isnt helping either. do I just need to replace the front outer tub?

thanks for any help

Bob

Reply to
BM

Does this help?

Jim

Reply to
gonjah

Hi Jim,

it dosent help. I have seen those diagrams. I think I need to know how the inner metal drum is suspended inside the outer plastic drum. does the front of the metal drum snap into the outer plastic drum and somehow my outer drum lip just wore/broke away?

Reply to
BM

Are you saying: How is part number 21 attached to part 11? Those two look like they snap (part 20?) together.

Those machines get so much stress they probably came apart in the spin. You're going to have to take it apart.

See:

What was it doing when it happened? Did it lock up?

Reply to
gonjah

it didnt lock up, it started making a banging noise and actually two of the shocks came undone, part 20 snaps part 8 and 21 together and part 11 floats inside the two outer shells. im wondering how it "floats/suspended" evenly. is it ok to post pictures?

Reply to
BM

Fits in place. Sounds to me like part 21 has to be replaced but you have to get in there to see the real damage. The rest you'll see when you get it apart.

;)

Reply to
gonjah

Contact repairclinic.com They are helpful and can answer you problem. I buy my parts from them. WW

Reply to
WW

If you have already taken it apart post pics to flicker or something (put a link here) and let's take a look. I'd like to see. :) I wasn't sure where you were in the process.

Reply to
gonjah

i found info in forums and it seems like the rear bearing support the inner tub so they may be bad.

Reply to
BM

Be sure to take pics. I want to see what I'm in store for. Mines about 8 years old now.

Reply to
gonjah

Ugh!

gonjah

thats bout how old mine is

Reply to
BM

How much use? I do about one load a week.

Reply to
gonjah

gonjah wrote in news:FqudnTV- XpmdKhrSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.toastnet:

you dont need such a big washer then, we do 2 to 4 loads a day.

Reply to
BM

some front load machines have non replaceable bearings, when the bearing fails the entire assembly must be replaced.

with the shorter washer lifecycle, higher initial cost, and super high repair costs front loaders rarely save any money.

sure water sewer costs less....... but the price point to save money exceeds the life of the machine.....

kinda like a toyota prius, tankless water heaters and others........

Reply to
bob haller

Prius? WTF? We bought our 2004 for about $22k . Got the tax credit. Sold it 2012 for $13k. The thing got FANTASTIC gas mileage and needed very little maintenance. I loved that car but my wife insisted on the new Hyundai hybrid. I'd have kept the Prius until the wheels fell off. Talk to other Prius owners too. AFAIK, they have very good customer satisfaction. Look at Consumer Reports too.

The other stuff, I donno. Our Duet is a fine washing machine but I've only had it about 8 years. The only issue I've had with mine is mold but bleach takes care of that.

Reply to
gonjah

I have not seen any source I trust that agrees.

Last I saw from Consumer Reports the Prius had the lowest cost-to-own (purchase, resale, fuel, maintenance, insurance).

A CR article had the time to recover the higher cost - I don't remember what it was, but it was not that long relative to how long you are likely to own a car.

I do remember that a Chev Tahoe Hybrid paid for the higher vehicle cost about a year and was about $4,000 cheaper than the equivalent over 5 years.

I eagerly await the data supporting your opinions.

Reply to
bud--