Old wire thicker than new wire?

I have been in the "trade" for 35 years, American Wire Gauge has not changed it that time. 12 is 12 and 14 is 14. What has changed in romex is that some manufactures A LONG TIME AGO made romex with 12 or 14 conductors and a reduced ground ~16awg. These cables were produced before I started buying wire.
Guages of wire, like same of metal, do not change, they are standards. The use of #12 Cu wire is prohibited under the Ont electrical code due to the added stresses the thicker wire places on the terminals and screws of the outlets. Prob the same where you live. This is one instance where overdoing is underdoing with a result in No Insurance Coverage. When #12 or #10 is used on a branch circuit, the device must be rated commercial and applicable for the wire used.

Exactly how does it stress the "screws of the outlets"?
Can you actually cite a reference?
Nexus7 wrote:

The responses to your question include a lot of nonsense and extraneous discussion. The answer is that wire gauges are the same, unless you go back a long way. Like someone said, put a gauge on both wires. It could be that one of the wires is labeled wrong. The gauge will tell the story.

I'm still waiting for some measurements. It's amazing how these threads get lost in other discussions....
I always think the newer wire is thinner too, but legally is should be the same.
replying to Nexus7, d57tbird wrote: Old 14 gauge strips with a 12 gauge notch on my wire stripper. the newest batch of 14 gauge is too thin to strip well with my stripper. Visually, the old 12 gauge is like modern 10, old 14 is like modern 12. As the price of copper goes up, the wire gets thinner. It seems like it may be a more brittle or stiffer alloy in the modern wire. Not sure if the alloy allows more current or if we are being cheated.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:14:01 GMT, d57tbird

The insulation on old type TW wire was thicker than THHN but the wire is the same.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 21:14:01 GMT, d57tbird

The wire itself is the same size. The insulation is significantly thinner. The wire HAS to be the same size unless it is counterfit Chinese crap.