OK to trim cut a steel door?

I have a relatively new metal exterior door that was thrown in by a previous owner. Most likely the people who repo'd the house since it looks new and has only factory primer on it.

Anyway, being thrown in, it is not in straight. Not bad but not straight. I really should have taken it out and put it back in before I redid the inside and outside if the house. I didn't so...

Problem is there is 0 clearance at one end (actually

Reply to
Al Bundy

Don't cut the door. Check the threshold piece...many are made so they can be raised/lowered/tilted with integral bolts. The door should close against the raised part of the threshold and against a magnetic gasket so that air/light doesn't come through.

dadiOH

Sometimes a door will sag a little with just short screws thru the hinge into the jamb. I like to take out one of the screws in the top hinge and replace it with a longer one that penetrates the 2X. This will usually suck the door up off the jamb.

Reply to
Pat

"tom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

As I said...

Reply to
Al Bundy

"dadiOH" wrote in news:d%PRg.2478$KK.1294 @trnddc08:

Nope. Not this one. Minimum cost I assume because of what I mentioned:

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Pat" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Yea, so do I :-)

I mentioned:

This is the primary, if not only, cause. Maybe I will mess with it a bit more. Not sure if I tried losening the bottom one before torquing the top one. But I need to get some space under there to put either the proper insulating strip that came with the door (which I don't have) or a door shoe. Either way. I need more space than what's even on the gap side now.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Pat" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Checked it out today again. I had put some longer screws in but not 2 1/2-

3"ers. Have plenty of drywall screws that size around but don't like to use high torque with that length since the thin necks can snap.

So while out I picked up some 3" #10. Threw a couple in the top hinge and it did pick it up off the bottom to stop the scraping. Still not enough clearance to get any kind of weatherstripping in there to work. Will just have to find and make do with some kind of sweep/rubber that mounts to the outside of the door.

Thanks for urging revisiting it.

Reply to
Al Bundy