OK to Mix Metal & Plastic Drain Parts?

The plumbing under my kitchen sink has all metal parts. The nut which connects the waste pipe to the J trap/gooseneck has pretty much come apart and is leaking. Also, the bottom part of the waste pipe looks really corroded.

Is it advisable to replace just the waste pipe and trap with PVC plastic parts, or do I have to replace everything from the bottom of the sink to where it empties into the main drain pipe in the wall with either all plastic or all metal to assure a good fit?

Reply to
joshhemming

No problem.

Reply to
Frank

That hasn't been my experience with mixing and matching. Gaskets, ring nuts, tapers, etc, look like they fit, but produce leaks. I usually leave the pipe coming out of the sink drain as metal if it is in good shape (Because those are a pita to remove), but switch everything from there to the threaded fixture in the wall, with plastic, ideally from the same manufacturer. It's cheap, and I don't ever want to have to mess with it again.

And like it says on the package, make sure to deburr any end cuts you have to make on the plastic- burrs attract clogs like mad.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I've done them and a couple of different plumbers I've had in over the years also did them with no problem. Of course you have to be careful and use common sense.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I have had metal drainage pipes under my sink and of course,yes they start corroding...as long as you have a good thread and proper gasketing and you tighten not too much,it will work...just make sure it all fits properly...I 'm a packrat when it comes to saving plumbing fixtures....I save all fittin gs,gaskets,pipe pieces etc....you never know when you need a spare piece do wn the road.

Reply to
saint1057

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Datz nize!