Oil for chain saw

I bought a chain saw over a year ago and never had a chance to use till now . I reread the manual and it says to check the oil. I did with a 'dip stick ", lol and its seems dry. Would oil disapate like water in a closed area? W ould there be a problem using it as is? Would any oil do, including vegetab le Oil? Thanks

Reply to
novel

B) No. Undoubtedly shipped dry if new.

C) Yes. You'lll wear bar/chain out in a heartbeat if run dry.

D) No. Use the recommended; undoubtedly it'll call for about a 30W chain oil; while more expensive you can use some engine oil in a pinch.

Reply to
dpb

Chainsaw bar oil is not rated the same way as motor oil. Chainsaw bar oil is obviously much thicker than 30W motor oil (and cheaper too, I think.) Bar oil is consumed in use and if motor oil worked OK it would probably get used up four times as fast as regular bar oil.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

ow. I reread the manual and it says to check the oil. I did with a 'dip sti ck", lol and its seems dry. Would oil disapate like water in a closed area? Would there be a problem using it as is? Would any oil do, including veget able Oil? Thanks

I suggest you RTFM before using that saw. You very obviously are totally c lueless about running/using one.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

now. I reread the manual and it says to check the oil. I did with a 'dip s tick", lol and its seems dry. Would oil disapate like water in a closed are a? Would there be a problem using it as is? Would any oil do, including veg etable Oil? Thanks

clueless about running/using one.

Your right I am clueless that is why I am asking for help as also in RTFM, whatever that suppose to stand for.

Reply to
novel

Read the "Fine" manual.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bento

Hi, Which oil? engine oil? chain oil? My saw chain oil tends to leak some during storage in it's carrying case. Engine oil does not.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Could be dangerous if not very careful as first time user. I am extra careful when using chain saw.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

novel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

RTFM = Read The F**king Manual

Reply to
Doug Miller

Small motors for chain saws are often 2 cycle so you mix some oil with the gas. This is not the same type oil you use for the bar and chain. If it is a 4 cycle engine, you do not mix oil with the gas, but put it in the crank case and should not need very much added to it very often.

There is also another place to put oil. That is for the chain and bar. It will get used as you run the saw. Check it often, say everytime you put gas in it and when you first use it after it has set a few days. This oil should be a special bar oil so it will biodegrade quickly.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

engine oil in a chai saw?? I haven't run across one with either oil injection or a 4 stroke engine yet. The only oil dip stick on a chainsaw is for chain/bar oil. It is a stickier oil than engine oil.

Reply to
clare

There is a canola based chain oil that a lot of environmentalists are promoting. It is supposed to be as good as regular dino oil and there is no oil pollution from it.

Reply to
gfretwell

They said here once that if you store the saw blade pointing up, it won't leak. I still haven't tried that.

Reply to
micky

You very obviously are totally clueless about running/using one.

Do you think there is a hook in your mouth, friend?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On the odd chance you're for real.... RTFM = Read The Furnished Manual.

As to the oil, please to go to your local big box or hardware store, and ask for chainsaw bar oil. The manual will say which port to fill. Bar oil is thicker and more sticky than motor oil, and works much better.

You will need "two stroke" oil to mix with the gasoline. All chainsaws I've seen in USA need two stroke oil mixed in the gasoline, to run properly. This is also explained in the furnished manual.

As you don't appear to have much experience with chainsaws, it's wise to find an experienced operator and get some safety training. Back kick. What's that? Why is working while tired, or alcohol impaired so dangerous? Why is working with the saw up high dangerous? Important to know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I put a bunch of paper napkins in the case, under the saw.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ah, you're no fun. The best part is watching a newby make their cut in the wrong place and then try to figure out how to pry their shiny new saw out of the tree. Trees don't like to be cut down and they will defend themselves with a variety of tricks.

Reply to
rbowman

Like the tree suspended from both ends, horizontal. And I cut from the top? I've done that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Engine oil was commonly used both to mix in the gas and for chain oil back in the day - some still use it for bar/chain oil.

Dipstick on a chainsaw? Must be something new. I have been running those saws since the 50s and have owned many brands and years. Currenty have 4 u p-to-date (one a 2013 model). Never seen a dipstick on any of them. No ne ed as one always fills the tank to the top whenever adding gas.

4cyle saws are coming, not sure if there are any yet. Honda does have 4cyc le string trimmers already.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

it is true of all 3 of mine. If I hang them by the handle they "mark their territory" !

Reply to
clare