Oh boy wood expands when wet...

I have a wood gate - it's a double gate made with PT lumber. In a normal condition the gate closes and there is a gap of about 1/4" between the two gates. When it rains hard the gate seem to expand and I cannot even open it - basically it's jamb locked.

So I guess wood expands when wet? I suppose there is no way to correct this without taking apart one gate and cutting it shorted...there is no play at all in the hinges.

Ideas?

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Doh!!!

Wait till the wood is dry and seal it. Marine Varnish would be a good suggestion. Be sure and do all sides or it won't do any good.

Reply to
Grandpa

Reply to
Toller

Wood moves across the grain, much less with the grain. That's why a frame door is made with panels to allow for inner movement, yet still keep the outside dimensions stable. Successful furniture makers and hardwood floor installers are well-aware of wood movement. You best bet is to trim the door just enough and deal with the gap by overlapping.

Reply to
Phisherman

The gate should have been designed for the expansion (and shrinkage). Evidently, it was not. If you built it, here's a calculator to help figure dimensions for the future. In the meantime, take the thing down and trim the edge to give you the necessary clearance.

James "Cubby" Culbertson