Lube etc old ceiling fan?

I've gotta 24+ year old ceiling fan with a couple light fixtures attached under the fan.

The fan is making a nasty little grinding noise.

Is it worth it to dissemble (likely a PITA) the fan/lites to recondition, lube, etc the fan? I've not fiddled any ceiling fans.

It looks to be a long, hot summer.

TIA, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Given the PITA to remove/install the fan and the relatively low cost that you can get a decent fan for today, I know I wouldn't screw around with it.

Reply to
trader4

Worn out, replace it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yes, its kind of a PITA to do but you could replace the bearings for about $12.00 and then you'd have a fan that would probably last for ever.

OK, so I'm retired and have a little more time to do stuff like this but I find it very satisfying.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

I'd replace it. Perhaps you can lube it and wait until August when there are drastic reductions on ceiling fans. I bought one at Home Depot for $11 and it has been running fine for 6 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

Puddin' Man wrote on 19 Jun 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Whatever you do, go easy on the oil. My father-in-law oiled the fan in his living room, then spent more than FIVE YEARS wiping drops of oil off the bottom of the light fixture every few weeks, though it slowed down to every few months toward the end. I always wondered how many cans of oil he used on one fan....

Reply to
Steve