Wood Fence/ Gate / Post Question

My heavy wooden gate fell off its mounting, completely ripping out the screw(Bolts?) that held it. Upon closer inspection, the screws that ran through the hinges were not sunk into the post (something like a 6''x6''x6foot above ground) but sunk into the board that ran from one post to another and held the slats that made up the fence.

The gate is pretty heavy at least 6 foot x 6 foot.

What I want to do is put a "buddy" post next to the one that should be holding the gate up. Because of the way things fit, the screws from the hinges will not sink into the main post. I thought of getting another large post and running it next to the main post but NOT sinking it into the ground because the main post's concrete will not allow this.

I was going to glue the second post to the first using something like liquid nails and run several long threaded bolts completely through the two post after pre drilling holes, then secure them with nuts and washers on both sides. Or should I use just a large boltscrew (no idea what they are called, maybe just screws) to secure it. I don't know what would be sufficient to hold them together.

The 2x4 running from post to post held the gate up for 10 - 15 years, but is split all to hell when the screws ripped out. The gates FAILURE was NO DOUBT aided by the climbing of 2 children that thought this easier then opening the gate.

Another possibility is just to replace the 2x4, with either the same, or a doubled 2x4.

However, I do not want to do a half assed job making a repair that just "will do."

If there is somewhere I could upload a picture I would be more then willing. That would be better then another 661 words.

Any advice, suggestions or general ideas? I not the best D.I.Y'er but I can DIM when I need to.

Thanks Roy

Reply to
Roy Baldone

Roy-

We really need a photo

One of the alt.home.repair regulars, Speedy Jim, gave this info a while back

Get a free account here:

to upload photos to. Then simply post the Link in your newsgroup message.

You can also use it to "send" photos to family/friends without the wasteful e-mail attachments.

Jim

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

On 7/19/2008 11:28 AM Roy Baldone spake thus:

What you're proposing is called "sistering", doubling up a structural member. Can often work to strengthen things (but as someone else pointed out, pictures, or a better description of the entire fence/gate, would help.)

But forget the glue: hardware alone will secure the sistered post to the original one. Glue won't do any good. Either through-bolts as you describe (bolt/nut/washer), or use a lag screw, which is what I think you're describing: basically a big wood screw with a thick shank and a hex head for using a wrench.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Perhaps he meant the glue to just hold the post up in place until he added the through-bolts?

Reply to
cshenk

Use a clamp, if can't hold a piece of lumber and insert a bolt...

Reply to
Oren

On 7/19/2008 12:27 PM cshenk spake thus:

Perhaps, but in that case, a couple nails would do just as well.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You'll definitely need a new 2x4. You can either sister a new one in next to the old one, or replace it. Heck, ten years is a good lifetime for a fence, so consider replacing the whole panel.

Reply to
SteveB

No, I have clamps that will hold everything in place. I thought the glue would help. A long time ago, I worked construction for a summer and when I had to make the headers over the doors, I was told to use nails and glue. Don't know if that was/is the right way, but that was the way the person paying me told me to do it, so I did.

And, yes, I was referring to a Lag Screw. I just didn't know the name. (referring to David Nebenzahi's post.)

What do you call the longs threaded metal rods with no head?

I'm not a carpenter by any means, and while I don't enough to even ask the right questions at times, or use to right words, I do try. And I appreciate the responses I've gotten. I did take some pictures but they turned out incredibly awful, so I will try to find another camera and take and post some tonight.

Thanks RB

Reply to
Roy Baldone

In don't know exactly what they are called, but I never have a problem finding them in a hardware store. It seems I come across them whenever I'm looking for something else. Perhaps you can ask for threaded steel rods?

Reply to
willshak

Carriage bolts.

Reply to
Andy

Those are called "threaded rod".

Reply to
SteveB

On 7/19/2008 4:39 PM SteveB spake thus:

Or by their trade name, "Allthread". (Or is it "AllThread"?)

(*Not* carriage bolts, as someone else guessed: thems got heads.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The only gates which will keep their shape are those with a welded steel frame and the wood screwed to the frame.

Use stainless steel machine screws.

For hinges use extra large hinges and long stainless steel machine screws with big washers and lock nuts.

For long heavy gates (like for a truck to drive through), use a large airless tire on an up/down pivot (for unlevel ground when opening gate) and large springs exerting a downward pressure on the tire axle/pivot equal to the weight of the gate at the wheel end. Then the gate post will not sag and as you open the gate the tire will bounce up/down on rocks and so forth, yet still support the gate.

I have several 8 year old gates constructed this way and they all work like new!

Reply to
Bill

I've put together short sections of 4x4 and 4x6 together into 8' long posts with glue and screw without problems on 6' height gates for a number of years without failures. I would say the recycled 4x4s and 4x6s are as good as new posts. Half lap joints, 3.5" deck screws and Titebond II glue, nothing fancy.

Reply to
<Frank>