Office chair wheels alternatives

Someone posted the question. These types worked for me on shallow carpet...

NostrilBobus McKinney

Off topic but I thought it was great when I bought kitchen chairs with casters, instead of plain legs like I had been using.

Unfortunately, the casters rolled out the top layer of the vinyl linoleum floor as if I were making a pie crust. It separated the top layer, with the pattern, from the rest of it, so the top layer chipped off, and ruined the floor.

If the floor were congoleum or something else expensive, with the pattern going all the way through, it would have been okay, but it was a medium-priced floor. Without the casters it would have lasted many more years.

Reply to
micky

I was surprised to see linoleum and "medium-priced floor" mentioned together.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Vinyl linoleum.

Reply to
micky

Showing my ignorance, but I thought vinyl and linoleum were two completely different materials.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Linoleum isn't made of vinyl.

It's made out of linseed oil, pine resin, and other stuff:

It can be pretty expensive.

We installed sheet vinyl flooring when we remodeled our kitchen.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

They are different. Mickey is showing _his_ ignorance.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

No, that's what they call sheet vinyl here.

Yes, we did. A few years ago, LOL

Reply to
micky

Yes, many people (including me) refer to sheet vinyl as linoleum. It doesn't make it true, and when we're discussing fine details (such as the cost), it's worth being accurate.

And since we're at it, sheet vinyl averages $1-2 per square foot. Linoleum averages $2-6.50 per square foot.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

But I didn't call it linoleum. I called it vinyl linoleum.

Vinyl linoleum is accurate and precise, and it's the term used in Baltimore, if not Michigan.

What a deal! But linoleum has a whole different look.

Reply to
micky

I count at least 10 states where I've lived, but never MD or MI. Having said that, I'm curious to know if you have an example of a flooring store, or similar, where they talk about a product called vinyl linoleum. It seems weird to me, like someone having a cat dog as a pet, or someone driving a car truck as their primary vehicle.

No big deal, I was just curious. If you're inclined, say a bit about how this all came about. Was this a flooring store trying to cover their bases?

Reply to
Jim Joyce