O.T. Reason(s) for all the store closures

I read where about 6800 "brick and mortar stores" will be closing in the U. S.

B4 I run to a store to buy something, I check online.

Often I can find the item for cheaper that a retail store and the shipping is free.

Is that because they don't have physical stores to maintain along with staf f ?

Even though those stores will close, does that mean that more jobs will be created because of the savings that customers will realize ?

Best regards,

Andy

There were 3 guys talking about death.

They were talking about how they would like to be remembered at their funer al.

The first said he would like to be remembered as a man who was a humanitari an who really cared about people.

The second said he would like to be remembered as a good father and husband .

The third guy said ?I would like someone to say, ?Look he ?s moving.?

Reply to
Andy

Maybe obamacrats shoplifting might be a factor?

Most consumers will buy more stuff, which will accelerate the trade deficit with China.

Reply to
economist

Distance, which you've indirectly mentioned. The IRS was allowing a fifty cents a mile business tax deduction recently. Is it 23 miles to the retail store? If so, add $23 to the purchase price.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm sure some people studied it more than me, but here goes.

You lose the store jobs but gain some warehouse/order picker jobs. when you ship rather than go to a store. You also gain some jobs in the delivery system, US, Fedex, USPS.

Shoplifting in retail stores is very expensive and it is cheaper to control employee theft.

Malls don't have the social attraction they once had. It is no longer something to do on a Saturday. Society evolves and this is part of it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Retail outlets require a lot more labor than shipping from a central site, even when you account for the delivery drivers. Stock pickers at the warehouse will stay busy all day. In B&M, you either have people standing around not doing much or you have minimal service for the customer. The biggest saving beyond that is inventory. When you stock at a central site you eliminate a whole level of distribution and carrying charges on stuff that is sitting on a shelf waiting for a local person to buy it. Stores try to predict sales and have things arrive just in time to be sold but when they guess wrong, you show up and they are sold out. That is easier to even out on a national scale from central sites. Worst case is they have to ship from a warehouse that is farther away.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Fri, 5 May 2017 08:42:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

I live in a rural area. The nearest WalMart is 20 miles away. For me on-line shopping offers selection and convenience. Price is about the same when comparing costs of driving with shipping.

Reply to
CRNG

I notice the advertisers were quick to pull out from a Fox News show, but are not pulling out from a potty mouth comedian show. The lefty's like to give comedians a broad pass but conservative viewpoints are frowned upon.

Reply to
Tekkie?

I agree with your analysis. I will also add that the selection is limited and service is unknown. I haven't been in a mall for at least 30 years and don't miss them.

Reply to
Tekkie?

The school board took over the Metro mall (328,000 sq/ft) and filled it with bureaucrats on our dime. Social Security took over the Rafters mall.

Reply to
gfretwell

They bought it. The school board has plenty of our money. I think they still own he old office building down on Central ave too.

Reply to
gfretwell

A mall jeweler once told me his rent in the mall was $100/sq.ft. and that was years ago. That seems high but maybe because his store was small as average in 2014 was $45 there:

Rental space cost half as much in outlying stores.

Reply to
Frank

As opposed to the righties who like to give conservatives a broad pass but liberal viewpoints are frowned on. How you don't notice that when your own words illustrate it, I don't know.

Reply to
Micky

My highschool economics teacher said "there is no such thing as a low-rent district". I've had my eyes peeled for more on the subject ever since then. He didn't say anything else stupid or hard to believe, so I think there is merit in what he waid. AI think I know what he meant. There was a car dealer 10 miles from edge of town who advertised a lot saying , "Go west to [I forget the town's name]. It's not very far but you'll save a lot", and he was saying, I think, that even if the rent was low when he got there, if people are willing to drive there, the rent will go up. But a) not until the end of the lease, and b) I still don't see how it could go up as much as it was in town, and c) if he was referring to the cost of shopping there, he could include everyone's gas and time to get there, but he specifically said no low-rent.

Reply to
Micky

We are all free to express our opinions in a civil manner but liberals riot, loot and burn shit down when things don't go their way. Liberals are very nasty people.

Reply to
Jimbo

You paint liberals with a very broad brush. Millions of liberals have never done any of those things.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Liberals are also financed and led around by the likes of George Soros. Who do they think organizes all those spontaneous demonstrations that break out in cities throughout the US? There are a lot of good liberals but many are useful idiots.

They also put out phony mass letters to advertisers to make them think that be public is going to boycott them.

You don't see conservatives doing these things but if they did the media would loudly call them out.

The media is silent on what the left is doing.

Reply to
Frank

All kinds of stuff involved here. A lot of businesses own the ground their business sits on. Overall they may have lower costs.

Thinking my Subaru dealer who is in a car selling strip has a relatively small lot compared to neighboring dealers but that is probably because his new vehicles are mostly stored in a remote lot where cost is very low. He does a good business and does zero advertising.

Reply to
Frank

They are still far left of center in social policy. The only difference is they are still "big business", just like the last 2 democrat presidents and the candidate they took to the 2012 election. Evidently there is a lot of ad money in being liberal with no limit to the number of entertainers who will throw in their image for free.

If by "labor" you mean ads for labor, look on Craigslist. That is where all classified ads are going.

Reply to
gfretwell

Show me a brick chuckin' looter and I'll show you a democrat....every time!

Reply to
taxpayer