Number of junction boxes per run

Upgrading cellar lighting from pull chain incandescents to plug in fluorescents. 12/2 Romex. How many junction boxes (and hence connections) can I safely place along the main run? I assume twisted and wirenut secured connections will develop resistance from oxidation.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

There's no limit.

This is not a consideration. Copper oxide is an excellent electrical conductor; aluminum oxide is not, but aluminum wire isn't allowed for branch circuits any more.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No limit to amount of junction boxes, just the total wattage of a 20 amp circuit

Reply to
RBM

My jurisdiction limits the number of "devices" per circuit to 10. Better check your local laws as your's may vary. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James Culbertson

but a junction is not a device.

Steve Barker LT

If there are lots of junction boxes the inspector may not feel that the job was done in a workmanlike manner. A circuit rarely has even one junction box, other than the ones the devices are in.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

messagenews:cISdnXV8rMeQH0rbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

KISS.

I'd rather use a nice, roomy 1900 box for hooking up branches than an outlet box. Easier to cram wire nuts into, plus I've already got them.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

messagenews:cISdnXV8rMeQH0rbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

They have to remain accessible, remember.

If there's a reason for a junction, any box of ample volume by code is adequate; I see no reason to think why there would be an inspection problem--again, assuming reasonable circuit routing and so on...

Reply to
dpb

Now would be a good time to add a switch. You can switch the plug- ins :) to all operate from the switch.

Reply to
Terry

Or several switches. Not always necessary to have all of the lights in the same room turned on.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel