Nothing like the smell of skunk in the morning

Of all the skunks I've encountered in my life this is the most pissed off aggressive little basterd I've ever met.

The little shit came running out from under the truck stomping it's feet with it's tail raised, like it was trying to start a fight. I refrained from kicking it.

I caught the little bastard in the cage trap. This morning when I went outside to put a blanket over the trap to transport it to a place of execution, I wasn't fast enough. The bastard sprayed my legs. It wasn't too bad at first. Now it's getting pretty rank. I was wearing shorts so it's in my skin. Bathing didn't seem to help. The smell is everywhere. I've still got to carry the bastard out and kill it, giving it another chance to get me. If I drown it in the stock tank, I wonder if it'd contaminate the water and kill the goldfish?

Reading how to get the smell out, it says tomato juice doesn't work, so later on I'll just make some bloody Mary's and see if I still care.

Reply to
Dogma

Googled this up:

Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon dish-washing liquid. Apply this mixture in the same way you would the vinegar solution.

Odor is a mercaptan, a sulfur compound, and this should oxidize it.

I heard a skunk would not spray if confined in a cage trap but I guess this is not always the case. I have always opened the trap using a pole at a distance and let them loose as they do not usually stick around.

Reply to
Frank

The little bastard ran fast, he got away. It's been too long since I've shot the shotgun. I got close though. He's far enough away its doubtful he'll make it back here.

Reply to
Dogma

On Tue 10 Jul 2018 07:07:20p, Dogma told us...

I had a friend who had a skunk as a pet that he had found as a kitten. He took it to a vet to have it "de-scented". It's very sweet natured and affectionate and behaves just like a cat, eats cat food and uses the litterbox. She's really beautiful and I think weighs about 12 pounds.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Many years ago there were four tiny little skunks that came up to where I was sitting in the dark. They were sweet, cute, little babies that weren't aggressive at all. I left them alone.

This one the other night acted like he was bad and knew it, like, why aren't you running? I'm a skunk, you don't want to mess with me, I'm bad.

Little thug antifa skunk. He probably would have bit me if he'd got the chance.

Reply to
Dogma

Aren't skunks notorious for having rabies?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Rabies is endemic around here and any animal acting strangely should be avoided. Foxes and raccoons appear to be the worst offenders and will attack and bite you. Wife's friend was bitten by a bat and needed shots. If they cannot capture the animal and test it, you get the vaccine.

Skunks are kind of cute and I imagine a de-skunked one with proper shots would make a nice pet but don't know if they would use a litter box like a cat.

Last one I caught in my Hav-a-hart had 3 babies with her and would not leave and were jumping all over the trap. Fortunately the trap was beneath my deck and I could open it with a pole from the 10 foot deck. Mamma just took her time leaving with the kids.

I've encountered skunks many times and they are fearless. They won't come after you but you have to get out of their way.

Reply to
Frank