Noisy pipes upstairs.

When ever the people up stairs have a showerI think as the noise lasts for about 15 minutes or so, there is a horrible sound, like someone running their finger nails across a chalk board for 15 minutes NON STOP :(

At the moment I am tolerating it with the use of some ear plugs from work :)

bEFORE i RING UP THE building people, do you think there would be an easy fix for this, if so what ??

Thanks.

Reply to
John Candy

This sounds like an apartment building, correct? And it sounds ike the problem is in someone else's apartment, correct?

If so, call the building people. Even if it's an easy fix, such as a worn washer or cartridge in the shower valve, you shouldn't be fixing it.The last thing you want to do is start taking the plumbing apart in some else's apartment!

You pay rent for a comfortable place to live. Call the maintainence people and have them fix the problem.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it is the water (as opposed to the drain), it may be a washer in the faucet needs replacing. Assuming this is a rental, that would be up to the landlord. You may want to invite the upstairs neighbor in for a listen so they can understand why you are complaining and point out, it is the plumbing, not them, that is hte problem. Makes for better neighbors that way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Its something to do with water. I read soemwhere about arrestors you attach to pipes to stop pipes from shuddering or something like that, then again could be what you said :)

Will give the building people a ring. The thing is the people upstairs rent, and I bought, so its upto the owner of the place upstairs to get it fixed and they may never do that :(

Then again our Strata covers anything inside the walls so maybe it bypasses them ??

Ohh well have to ask and findout.

Thanks.

Reply to
Obsidion

Water hammer can be alleviated by dead leg air arrestors. A tee with a short length of sealed pipe is placed in the system, the air in the pipe being trapped and compressed. The compressed air then acts as a spring and smooths out water pulsations or hammer

Reply to
Telstra

And nearly all such need to have the water drained periodically so they can refill that air bubble.

So before ripping apart your plumbing to install such, simply turn off the water, drain everything out of the system that you can, and turn on the water again. Often this takes care of the problem. :)

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler