Noisy neighbours

I think our walls between us and neighbours is quite thin you can hea

loud conversations and music at all times of day and night. We hav now fallen out over music played at 11.30 at night. Any ideas on soun proofing and how effective it would be

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

Been there, done that, gotta say my heart goes out to you. You might want to peruse my thread on "Neighbor's Wood-Burning," only because what some of the posters say is true: no matter what you do to remedy the situation and how in the RIGHT you are, you will be seen by these people and perhaps others in the building as the bad guy.

If you don't have a lease, move (and in a rural area, try to rent a mobile home instead).

Finally, if moving is not an option, do this: go to the Salvation Army store, get an *old* television, and put the "snow" on. This will at least mask the sound of the music. Unfortunately, I'm sure what you're reacting to is the bass. This is more difficult to escape from, and I don't have any suggestions.

I'm serious when I say I'll be praying for you. If people had any idea how noise equals torture in modern society, maybe they'd be less hurtful. Maybe, but probably not. It's the trouble with living in the twenty-first century, with SurroundSound.

Reply to
tioga0630

In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)

Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the sound will also help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Or you can fight fire with fire. Get a few 12" woofers and screw them to the studs. Play Anthrax "The Persistence of Time" every once in awhile, being certain to have an adequate supply of ear plugs for your family to use. That CD is far from "music" and sounds more like two trains coliding.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

If you rent complain to the landlord, If it is a condo, the association. At 10 00pm the police may help, that is late.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would probably do the same thing... LOL

Just find out what time they go to sleep and fire it up! Ahhh nothing like firing up every gas appliance at 8:00am on a sunday

Reply to
Sexytom976

Here's another variation on the "fight fire with fire" theme:

Many years ago a friend of mine had a problem: a nearby neighbor would practice playing her flute at all hours of the night (and wasn't particularly good). The houses were close together in the neighborhood, and this was in the summer when everyone had the windows open.

He got his hands on a sound-effects recording that featured about 20 minutes of people hysterically laughing. Placed speakers in the windows, put on the recording, and cranked it up to full volume.

The late-night flute playing stopped!

Eric Law

Reply to
EL

That's pretty doggone funny.

Speaking of dogs, we once had a neighbor with an incessantly barking dog. A few minutes with a bullhorn giving him a taste of his own medicine did the trick. It was surprising how well it worked.

Reply to
John Harlow

playing her flute at all hours of the night

neighborhood, and this was in the summer when everyone

people hysterically laughing. Placed

Reply to
Halvey

When I lived in an apartment, my neighbor turned up his stereo until it shook the walls. Each time he did this I went down the basement and tripped his electrical breaker. He bragged to everyone that his sound system was so powerful that every time he turned it up it tripped the breaker. And he turned it down.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software

Gary R. Lloyd

There is nothing worse than a beginning clarinet player..

Clarinet: " The evil (wood)wind that blows nobody good"

It can be countered by learning to play the Sousaphone........

....... a cooler of beer, a Sousaphone, and ..... hit don't git no better... !!!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Reply to
effi

sounds like you can't move or you would have

assuming you live in an incorporated area (eg. city, etc.), you probably have law breaking neighbors, not just noisy neighbors

as someone mentioned, if they're breaking noise laws, you might invoke the laws

you don't indicate if you live in an apartment, but it sounds like you might

if so, structural changes are probably out unless your landlord makes them

maybe piling up a bunch of nonflammable pillows and nonflammable sound retardant drapes over that wall, with a little dead airspace would decrease the noise deadening

white noise generators are okay to help mask unwanted noise but you still have to listen to the white noise

the fighting fire with fire method opens yourself up to the same noise laws and gives them further social license to make even more noise toawrds you

Reply to
effi

I would think putting the "working" end of the chainsaw to the wall would be more effective.... albeit a little messier. ;)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

If it's a condo then you are in luck Mark. If it's a rental then you probably have little recourse.

I bought a condo just a few months ago and encountered the same type of neighbour. Contacted the Property Manager a few times and problem solved.

It took a couple of months, but it's been worth it.

Good Luck

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Earplugs. Fifty cents.

Reply to
JerryMouse

I had noisy teenagers for neighbors in a cheap apartment I once rented, and they kept me up many nights with their loud stereo. Finally, one Sunday night after midnight , after having the door slammed in my face with a cheery f*** you while politely requesting them to turn it down, I unplugged their electric meter from the side of the building and put it in the dumpster. Instant quiet, and they soon moved, as the electric company required another deposit they couldn't afford.

Reply to
JustDave

Well,most communities have noise ordinances that begin at 11 PM. So,if they start up at 11:30 PM,call the cops and let them deal with it.After a couple of times of this,you have solid records to go to the management to have them deal with it. If all else fails.... I go outside to the master meter/breaker panel and shut off their electric power for a second or two.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@gatecom.com (Gary R. Lloyd) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.gatecom.com:

cycle the breaker on and off a few times and you could blow his amp or speakers with the surges.

Reply to
Jim Yanik