Noisy kitchen sink drain

Our washer in the basement discharges into twin wash tubs. When this happens we hear loud gurgling in the sink drain upstairs in the kitchen. They share a common drain pipe to the sewer line. Any suggestions about what can be done to stop the noise?

Russ

Reply to
RusPC

Now this one *is* a venting problem:-) Either the wash tubs were tapped in improperly or the vent for the kitchen sink is blocked.

Without a working vent, the flow of water from the tubs creates a vacuum which tries to suck the water out of the kitchen trap.

It's even possible that there never was any vent; this type of connection was common in some parts of the country for kitchen sinks.

The best (easiest) fix in this situation may turn out to be the addition of a mechanical vent just downstream of the kitchen trap. How you do that depends on the layout, etc.

Here's one:

More:
Note that this type of vent may be prohibited where you live (if it matters).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I will check out the venting.

Russ

Reply to
RusPC