no cold water or toilet water

This morning I noticed that our downstairs toilet tank was not filling up after a flush. The tank would drain, but there was not water coming back in through the valve. I replaced the toilet fill valve, but still no water is coming into the tank. Then I noticed that the cold water was not working in the sink (same bathroom). The hot water in the bathroom works fine. (The hot and cold water come from different supply lines). In the kitchen and upstairs bathroom, the water works fine. I live in Kansas, and the temp has been around 5-25 degrees the last couple days. Could the pipes be frozen? I am not sure where the plumbing to this bathroom runs from, as I just moved into this rental house a couple weeks ago. Any ideas???

Reply to
CE.Buxton

Excellent chance that branch pipe has frozen.

Where? You're in a better position to find out. Basement/crawl? Outside wall? If you can find it, heat the area with a blow dryer.

If it's concealed, there may not be much you can do. Worse: When it thaws, the pipe may have burst and will flood some part of the house.

Better contact the owner ASAP.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Good thinking.

Jeez....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Good chance this is an outside wall, and it has frozen. I have had this happen and it opens up after the weather warms up a bit. Sometimes I have been able to keep that one bathroom very warm, and it will warm the pipe and water would start flowing again to that john.

Yes, it could have burst the pipe, but that doesn't always happen.

James

Reply to
James