NO Chops. (pork)

You need to do some research on USDA grading. I'm not giving you a hard time but choice and prime don't mean what a lot of people think they do.

Reply to
rbowman

  I smoke butts at about 190° to 200° for about 2 hrs/pound . Overnight works out well for me . When the bone pulls out easily it's done . I usually shred mine with plastic forks . Melts in your mouth .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I like slow cooking a pork shoulder myself and when I get tired of it I feed the rest to the dog. At $1.69 a pound it is cheaper than dog food.

Reply to
gfretwell

micky formulated on Tuesday :

Yes, and often shoppers will pass over the prime steaks for the choice or even select ones because of all that ugly fat.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

What kind of dog food is that expensive ? Dog chow is less than 25 bucks for a 45-50 pound bag up here in the outback ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yes, that's true. more like 10-12 hours when I smoke two 7# boston butts.

Pull it and vacuum pack in 3.5oz packets then freeze. Useful for sandwiches, scrambled eggs, hot dishes, spaghetti sauce and dozens of other uses.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

  I have 2 bags with 10 oz each in my freezer from the last butt I smoked . After lunch today there'll only be one ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Throw the bag of raw meet into a pot of water, crank up the sous vide circulator and cook it for 24 hours or so and even the toughest cut is tender.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's the only problem I had. CostCo seems to aim at $20 when they're packaging meat and $20 worth of shoulder is a lot. Don't have a dog.

Reply to
rbowman

I guess the pups aren't getting Iams.

Reply to
rbowman

Only about half of his meal is going to be kibble, the rest is meat. The kibble is still about a buck 15 a pound (Costco Lamb and Rice)

Reply to
gfretwell

Do you have a freezer?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Only in the winter.

Reply to
rbowman

I see little or no prime beef for sale in the supermarkets where I shop.

Reply to
micky

micky formulated on Friday :

It usually goes to high-end restaurants where the consumer never sees the marbling.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Costco usually has some. I see it every once in a while in the more high-end supermarkets (generally around Christmas).

I generally bypass the premium prices that Prime commands, and just look for the most well-marbled Choice they have. Sometimes it's very nearly as well marbled as Prime.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton