NM cable clamp question

I'm putting fan rated ceiling boxes in the bedrooms of my house since I need to replace them anyway (see other thread) The boxes that I can find do not have cable clamps built in but round knockouts on four faces. I'm planning on using these:

seems to imply that it is OK to put two 14/2 through one clamp, is that correct? That would make things neater if I could do that, but I don't want to if it's prohibited by something or other.

Also, is there any prohibition against putting the clamps in "backwards" that is with the screw and clamp inside the box? I don't need to do this for this job but I could see some situations (e.g. putting a box in an existing hole using existing wiring) where that might be desirable.

nate

(doing my laundry while waiting for the girl to come home, then I'll be back up in the attic again...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It will hold 2- 14/2 cables legally, as will an Arlington button, which is plastic, nonconductive and has a smaller footprint

Reply to
RBM

If the device is listed for use with two cables (which this one is) then it's ok to use it for two cables.

Huh. Dunno. Never thought about that...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks! I might pick up a few of those if I can find them. look like a handy product.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I would buy Romex connectors by the box, and every once in a while they were not properly deburred. If you clamped down just a little too tight, small shards of metal would cut right through the jacket and the conductor insulation, and short out the cable. The Arlington buttons are so small, install from one side, and have no locknut to thread on, and if the cable did happen to get cut, they're non conductive.

Reply to
RBM

I have used a couple of cable clamps that were constructed with double cable 'channels' but one clamp so as to accomodate two cables in the one cable clamp opening. Would be excellent for say two #14AWG etc. Can't recall the item number. Cheers.

Reply to
terry

[...]

| It will hold 2- 14/2 cables legally, as will an Arlington button, which is | plastic, nonconductive and has a smaller footprint

I sometimes worry about the summary listings versus the actual UL listing that presumably matters. For example, in this case, are we really supposed to believe that the clamp is good for 14/2, 12/2, and 12/3 but not 14/3?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I don't see why not. I had to snake another 14/2 into an existing metal box. And I used one of those plastic clamps, but backwards. Anotherwords I installed it from inside the box pushing out, Since there was no way I was going to install it from outside the box.

Reply to
Mikepier

Could just as easily mean that it isn't listed for 14/3 because it wasn't tested with 14/3.

Reply to
Doug Miller